Wednesday, September 25, 2013

weights GOOD

I had this post ready to go a few days ago but for some odd reason, my computer isn't letting me upload images. So, after days of trying and failing, I broke out my laptop and it worked from there. Not sure what the issue is. It's weird to think I have a college degree in computer programming, yet everything else about computers seems to be Greek to me. It frustrates the crap out of me.

Anyway, the first link is quite interesting. For me, most of the exercises listed here are not a surprise, although there was one that made me say "really?". Can you guess which one?

A list of the most overrated exercises. An interesting read.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/the-8-most-overrated-gym-exercises-for-women/

And another interesting read for anyone running and running and running and not losing the weight like they thought they would.

http://optimalmetabolictraining.wordpress.com/2008/02/29/marathon-training-making-you-fat/

This is not to dis those who like to run. I could care less what you like to do for fun. I like drinking wine for fun. But that's just me. It's the folks that are running to try and lose fat that I'm trying to reach here. Because it's not the answer, and I've been preaching this for years.

I just had a conversation with my boss the other day, who also happens to be a very great personal trainer. He was asking me how boot camp was going and I was talking to him a little about my weight lifting history. He remembers me in the gym every morning, busting it out. He said, "you were pretty intense". Yep. I was. And I had a kick ass metabolism as a result. I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight. In fact, when I tried to gain weight, I couldn't because I burned through everything so quickly.

Anyway, to answer his question about boot camp, I said it was good but I hated the running portion. It's not much, but I don't like to do it, so I dread it when I know it's coming. I confessed that I wasn't much of a cardio lover. He said he wasn't either. And in fact, even when he is the most cut, he does no cardio at all. He also said that it amazed him how many people climb onto those machines day after day and never EVER change. Not doing anything to ignite their fat burning furnace. People still believe that the treadmill is where it's at.

I think that the belief women get "bulky" when they lift weights is probably one of those myths that in this day and age, has finally been put to rest. At least I hope it is! Because trust me ladies, if lifting weights made you big, I'd look like freakin' Arnold by now! It's NOT that easy. You have to work DAMN hard to gain muscle. I'm not talking about squatting with little 10lb dumbbells (although that would definitely benefit you more than running would - in terms of physique improvement). But it simply WILL NOT make you big.

To put it plain and simple, if you are just looking to become a smaller version of you, keeping your current proportions intact, even just dieting alone will get you there. Temporarily. And I say that because your metabolism will be slower and you will be smaller and not needing as many calories anymore so if you go off you diet, you'll balloon. Dieting alone is not the answer. Being "smaller" isn't good enough. You have to change your physique. And the only way to do that is to add muscle and get your metabolism working for you, not against you. How you do this, is lifting weights. Not cardio.

Ok, off my soap box now. Here are a couple of pictures that made me smile today:




1 comment:

Carmen said...

The next time you want to post a picture of my backside, let me know-k? Ha! Ha!