Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's been awhile



So I thought I'd post a few pics taken this morning after my workout.

On my main blog I switched my picture which links to this fitness blog because I think it shows some improvement since my last photo.

I don't notice big changes in my abs anymore because I think they are pretty ok the way they are and don't work them super hard. That's not to say I couldn't improve! I could stand more definition.

My workout routine is working well in the sense that I don't dread it and am able to consistently DO it, instead of skip out. The problem with really killer long hard-core workouts is that I tend to dread them and just skip them all together. I've come up with something that is working VERY well as far as keeping me motivated NOT to skip it.

Basically it is 3 full body workouts per week, usually M,W,F. I hit all the major muscle groups each time, just at a different angle. This way, I'm doing something different at each workout. And my muscles are ALWAYS sore! They haven't gotten used to it yet - which is good! Usually when I have changed up my routine in the past, I'm CRAZY sore after the first and maybe second time but after that I don't feel any soreness. Not this time!

I'm doing 3-4 sets of moderately low reps. So again, I'm not dreading having to do 15 reps of every exercise 4 times. I admire people who can do that, I just can't keep at a routine like that.

I have a very hard time gaining any muscle and I think it might be because I don't eat enough of the right foods. So I've also implemented a strict post-workout feed so I am sure to get a good amount of protein and starchy carbs right away. Feeding my muscles, so to speak. I pray that with my persistence this winter, I will notice a gain by spring. I've always had a hard time talking myself into eating MORE than I already do. And then come spring I can focus on more cardio for extra fat loss. Incidentally, I am also doing light cardio 3 days per week on off weight days. I've been cycling through high intensity intervals, steady state jogging and Turbo Jam (I still love that dvd after all these years!), each only 20-30 minutes long so I can hang onto all my precious muscle!

If I had any advice for people looking to change their bodies it would be CPR. Consistency, Persistence and Resistance! Be consistent, persistent and resist failure!

Train hard, live well!

No comments: