Thursday, June 10, 2010

Doing something good

Skipped Ripped 1000 Monday due to a very active day with the kids. Long walks and bike rides....wore me out by 3:00pm! Did it Wednesday though. Had SO much energy! Cleaned the ENTIRE house afterwards, too. Must have been the coconut water! You ever tried that stuff?

I have noticed, since living in Denmark, that bike riding is SO easy here. Seriously. The little hills around this town (or should I say tiny) that used to seem like work to me, don't anymore. I used to have to stand up to pedal up these tiny hills. Not anymore...even with my 4 year old in the back seat.

We lived about 6 miles from the coast, in a wooded area with so many wonderful bike/walking trails. I mean, it was probably the BEST part of living there. But, there were some pretty big hills through the forest. The kind you definitely can't do sitting down (especially with an extra rider). Although, my little Eden, now almost 8, was pretty much a pro. She didn't have the advantage of being able to stand up and pedal, so she did it the right way. All the time. Those little muscles must have just been constantly burning between trying to keep up and those hills. I think back now and almost feel a tad guilty. But we ALL enjoyed it so much. The perfect Sunday would be biking to the coast and have a picnic in the sand while watching the ocean. Spending the day finding shells, crabs and shrimp. Eating ice cream and biking back home. What a treasure, those memories!

One hill, in particular, was just down the street from our house. I wasn't able to bike up without standing once I got closer to the top of it. My goal was always to try and make it as far as I could sitting. Until I finally did it. And could do it over and over. That's when I knew I had improved my muscle strength.

And I notice that new found strength even now, a year later. I am happy for that. Because there are a LOT of "those days" where I don't feel like I've improved at all for as much as I workout with weights. It tends to get me down at least once a week. I have those moments when I'm tired, sweating my butt off and have many more reps to go. I think, why do I bust my butt day after day, week after week, year after year, for nothing? Well, it isn't for nothing. It's for health. You'll maintain joint flexibility, increase bone density (which reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis) and better manage your weight. Also, it can reverse the natural decline in your metabolism which begins around age 30. But let's not forget the feel good endorphins weight training increases, as well as the improved self esteem. Many, MANY benefits. Too many for me to list right now!

I AM doing something good. I HAVE improved my fitness. And I am proud of myself for that.

No comments: