Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A healthy body is a happy body!

I ran outside last night. First time in a couple weeks probably. I've been almost exclusively training with weights with a few HIIT cardio sessions scattered in between.

My girls were with me on their scooters. I love when they want to come with me. But not 5 minutes into it I was so winded. WHAT UP WITH THAT? It was SO hot out. And I am not used to running in the heat. Most of the time I run on the treadmill in our cool basement. So anyway, when I got home (after just one loop around) I felt like I was going to die.

I just don't get it. I do aerobic and anaerobic exercise with this routine I'm on so I should be conditioned enough to handle a stinkin' jog! Sheesh!

That drama aside, I'm starting to really enjoy running outside more and more though. It's nice to be out enjoying nature while you are doing something good for your body. Plus, I sort of feel this camaraderie (or is it comradery?) with all the other runners (and there are a lot around here). That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It's always interesting to hear what other people do to improve their health and get in shape. Whether it's a brisk walk, swimming, weight training, or belly dancing, it doesn't matter. The key is MOVE! Break a sweat! Don't just think that parking your car farther away from the entrance to the store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator is enough. Mayo Clinic says 30 minutes of aerobic activity daily can help you live longer and healthier. Who wouldn't want that!

Oh, and don't forget about your diet! Eat good at least 80% of the time along with that 30 minutes a day and you're golden!

No comments: