Sunday, December 30, 2012

new health

Well, I've got a new reason for blogging. I'm making a change. A complete lifestyle change.

Let me rewind a little...

Remember a couple weeks back when I posted about going to this chiropractor with my mom? Turns out this guy is changing my whole life!

He is not just a chiropractor, he is a Maximized Living doctor. And without going into loads of detail about what that is, just check it out for yourself at http://maximizedliving.com/

I will warn you ahead of time though, they are different. But different is good! Trust me!

I will also warn you that I've read a few things on the internet that claim Maximized Living clinics are a scam or a cult. I can honestly say I understand why they think that. I myself even thought the same thing on my first couple of visits. But this isn't just a chiropractic clinic. They don't just align your spine, they want to get you better, inside and out. It's a wholistic approach. They teach you how to eat properly to feel your absolute best. And how to exercise to get the best benefit. Unfortunately, for many, it won't be what they want to hear, but it's what you NEED to hear. I believe that 100%. I believe that we are in control of our health and either because of convenience or taste or laziness or lack of caring, or just plain stubbornness, we go through the motions day after day, not caring one iota about what we are doing to our bodies, and we are slowly killing ourselves.

I've just finished two amazing books. They have taught me so much. And I thought I knew just about all there was to know about proper nutrition. I was wrong! My plan was always going to be to eat healthier after the holidays - cut out sweets, more veggies, etc. But I've decided to take it even farther. I'm cutting out sugar completely. That includes anything that turns to sugar like grains and most fruits. I'm detoxing my body and I plan on making the lifestyle change....for good! Knowing how much I will improve myself in so many ways makes me so excited!! I am not caring at all that I don't eat bread. I don't care at all about not eating candy. What I do care about is getting super healthy and preventing debilitating diseases later in life.

We have a crisis in this nation. We are the most unhealthy people and our healthcare isn't helping. We go to the doctor when we have problems and we are prescribed a pill. All that is doing is masking the real problems. If this country would just realize that most of our problems are avoidable simply by making some lifestyle changing, we would all be happier. We would save TONS on healthcare and overall just be happier healthier people.

But it always seems to be that whenever something really promising shows up, people shoot it down because it's different and frankly they just aren't willing to give up their pizza and pop and sugary foods. It would be too much of a sacrifice. They wouldn't enjoy life. But the only thing you are sacrificing is your health. Live how you want - I plan to. But to the naysayers, let's see who's living better, happier, healthier lives. You or me? Come find me a month, 3 months, 6 months from now. I'm going to be the healthiest, happiest and fittest I've ever been. And I owe it all to Maximized Living.

I've only just begun my journey. I'm day two without sugar. Like I said, that means no grains, not even healthy grains like sprouted grain bread or oats. But I jumped into the Advanced Plan. I wanted a total change. A total detoxification. I knew it would be hard. But I embraced it willingly. So far, planning ahead has been my savior. And the food I get to eat is AWESOME! The recipes leave me wanting for nothing! I can eat "bread" that I make completely without flour. I can eat bars and cookies and it's all organic, natural, grain and sugar free. Very few ingredients. Very tasty recipes!

I'm going through BIG time withdrawals though. I knew I would. I was prepared for it. I've had an absolutely excruciating headache for the past 24 hours. And symptoms could last 2 weeks, although I'm guessing my headache will subside in a few days. That's my hope talking. But it's just my body's response to being without sugar. Sugar is like a drug, it's just as addictive and just as bad for you. It may not kill you fast, but it will kill you. I'm taking action now. And I'm cleansing myself from all the nasty, horrible things I used to put into my body. I've stocked up on the proper foods (including specific veggies and meats) and I'm ready for the healing to begin. I know this pain is temporary and necessary. It's a small price to pay for the big return I will get!

One thing I've learned is that we don't get enough healthy fats. And our hormones are so out of whack because of how we're eating, that we are getting fatter and fatter. See, we have become sugar burners, not fat burners. We have to train our bodies to burn fat again. And the only way to do that, is to stop eating sugar. And that includes starchy carbohydrates. I was someone who worked out harder than ANYONE I know....by far! I ate better too. I was so meticulous at one point that I counted every single macronutrient that went into my body for weeks on end, all while working out enough to produce super fat loss, without seeing an iota of change. Of course this left me frustrated and worn out. Why? Why wasn't I seeing any improvement? Well, I was a sugar burner. No amount of exercise was ever going to help me rid myself of the last of the fat. I had very little, but it was enough to be bothersome. I didn't know where to turn. I was burned out. So I gave up. And just as I was feeling about as miserable about myself as I ever have, a miracle happened. My mom asked me to try out this Maximized Living clinic. And do you know what it was? God's answer to my prayers.

I'll be documenting my progress from now on. This is important to me. I've never felt so ready for anything in my life! This was my wake up call. This is part of my purpose. I can't tell you how excited I am for the change. I literally get goose bumps thinking about it! Call me crazy, call me extreme, call me obsessed, call me weird....but you won't be able to call me unhealthy. And my health is important to me for so many reasons.

We all hold our own definition of health. For some, it may be to quit smoking. Others, to exercise 3 days per week. And still others, just not having any aches or pains. But if you are still eating refined, processed unhealthy foods on a daily basis, it doesn't matter if you "feel" fine. You know, you don't usually feel pain until it's too late. Damage done. I'm not going to wait. I'm going proactive. My definition of health used to be consistent exercise (and the "right" kind too) and healthy eating. Now I know that while I was on the right track, it wasn't good enough. So I'm changing it.

I am changing my life for the better. My mind, my body, my health, all of it. 2013 is MY year!!

No comments: