Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I'm team weight lifting

I have been obsessed with sauteed mushrooms lately. Can't get enough of them. Especially with green onion and garlic. And cooking sherry. Oh, delicious! I put them on everything. This morning, I put them on my eggs. My fingers have a perpetual garlic smell. I love it.



This morning, I just didn't feel like eating. I was hungry, but nothing sounded good. The thought of eating more egg whites made me want to gag. Do you ever get like that? Like you are just so bored and fed up with food you wish you could just take a futuristic meal in a pill and be done with it? I get that way some times. I usually love to cook and try out new recipes and try to make food look and smell appealing. But sometimes I get lazy and just throw together a quick and easy dish I know everyone will eat, like tacos or spaghetti. And sometimes, I just get sick of cooking all together. Being the one who cooks every meal ALL the time, it can get monotonous.

I am the one who puts together the weekly menu, does the grocery shopping and the cooking. It's something that is always on my mind because, well, we need to eat. And I am not making dinner from a box! So there is a lot of thought and effort that goes into this. Plus, the need for fresh veggies and other things that we run out of quickly, like eggs, sends me on multiple trips to the store each week. I should be on a first name basis with everyone who works there by now. It's almost embarrassing. And don't even ask me about our grocery bill! I've tried many times to budget and keep it below a certain amount but it's so hard! This is why I choose not to buy organic grass fed beef and other organic foods. The beef especially though, just a teeny tiny steak costs an arm and a leg. Some hard cores will say, "but it's so worth it". Well, I don't think it's worth putting my family in debt over. Seriously, if I ate those foods daily, we'd be broke for sure! Not that I wouldn't love to be able to feed my body all the healthful benefits of organic grass fed beef.

Moving on....

Needless to say, coming up with new, tasty and healthy dishes that my whole family will love is no easy task. I could literally spend hours researching it and I'd rather be doing some other activity which doesn't require me to sit so long. Maybe that's why it's taking me so long to get my photo website up and running?? Sometimes I will scan healthy blogs and save recipes to my computer, and then forget about them...haha. Or I will find dishes that I want to try and then by dinner time, I'm too lazy to do it. I know, lazy isn't something I love to be, but it is what it is. It's not always the case, but more often than I'd like.

This is probably THE reason I don't have my perfect body yet. Because I'm too lazy most of the time to do what it takes in the kitchen. I have the knowledge, I absolutely KNOW what it takes, but I'm not always 100% gung ho about it. I know it's a no-no to just eat carbs. I know that my meals should be mostly protein and vegetables. But preparing this stuff all the time feels like it consumes my entire life. After I've been on a real serious kick for a while it gets tiresome. I feel like all I'm doing is swallowing supplements, working out, prepping food, cooking food, eating food, shopping for more food, thinking about food, etc. I feel like it takes up so much of my day that I'm hardly able to keep up with my regular chores. Cleaning this gigantic house and cooking for my kids (they don't eat a lot of what I eat) and playing with them, running errands, helping my mom.....I'm really just plain exhausted by the end of the day. I'm falling asleep standing if I'm still up by 9:00pm. Seriously. And exercise is supposed to give you MORE energy, right?!

It's so much nicer to just grab a piece of toast and cheese and be done with it. It's easy, it's tasty, it's satisfying. Or, just throw a protein bar in my purse and head out with the kids. PRE PACKAGED (gasp!) protein bar, that is. Even though I know they are just "glorified candy bars". I know that a great physique comes with a LOT of sacrifice and hard work. Everyone that has a competitor's body has to go through the motions. There are no short cuts for them either. It's just as much of a challenge. Yet here I sit, whining endlessly about why I just can't get my dream physique. Sigh...

I wish I was a celebrity who had a personal dietitian and chef who would work together to create a diet that would fill my body with the proper macro nutrients, everything I needed to get to my goal, and I wouldn't have to think about it at all. Just be served and eat. That's it. Wouldn't that be great?!

One last thing, I want to try [I said try] to post a delicious healthy meal idea once a day (except for weekends). That way, it forces me to come up with new menu options for my benefit, and maybe will help inspire another bored-to-pieces-healthy-cook somewhere out there. I know that I always love to see other fitness bloggers post their favorite healthy meals because it gives me new ideas and inspiration. Plus, I need to do a lot less whining and do more helpful posts. I have very little traffic on this blog and I realize that is because there isn't much content. It never bothered me that I have very few visitors, because I started this many years ago as a diary to keep myself accountable. I figured if other people had a chance to read it, I'd be less apt to give up on my goals. It has been helpful. But now that it's been quite a few years and I've only got a few followers, it makes me think that I need to change something.

I still want to be able to come here and rant about whatever is on my mind, but I don't want to be depressing, I don't want to sound whiny, I don't want to be too preachy, and I don't want to offend people. I'm not going to please everyone, that's true for us all. I want to stay true to ME. For instance, I'm not a cardio queen, and I'm gonna tell it like it is about too much cardio, like it or not. Because that's me. That's my view. You can take it or leave it. We aren't all going to see eye to eye. Everyone has their thing. And we're all going to think our own thing is the best there is. Like the way I feel that weight lifting is far superior *wink* to cardio for countless reasons. You are going to find blogs with that exact same mindset all over the net. And for everyone of those, there is another that says CARDIO rules. Every body is different. We aren't all made to sprint. We aren't all made for endurance sports. We aren't all weight lifters. We do what we like. We do what we can. And on this blog, I'm team weight lifting. And I don't care what team you are on. We can still be friends ;)

No comments: