Sunday, June 3, 2012

Working out outside


Last night, the kids and I did some sprints outside. It's SO much better to do them outside vs. the treadmill because you can go as fast as you can without being limited by the top speed of the treadmill or having to push buttons. It...was...great! I think we are going to make it our "thing" during the evenings. Not every night, but if we can get those in 3 times a week, we'll be doing awesome. I'm sure our neighbors think I'm a bit crazy running down the middle of the street with my kids, but it's not a super busy road. It's really the only place we can get any distance. The yard is too small.

Speaking of crazy, I actually got on the treadmill the other night....for an hour! I don't remember what we had but I ate too much. So I decided that since I was such a cow I would punish myself with an hour on the treadmill. I started out with "sprints" (I use the term sprint loosely since my treadmill only goes to 10) then I finished up jogging. It felt good for a change. Honestly, the last time i was on a treadmill that long was probably around 2 years ago.


I've also been helping Hanna workout outside. She hates going downstairs to do the treadmill by herself so we thought of a different way to get her to move. Thursday evening she was practically in tears because she said being in the basement alone creeps her out. So on Friday, when she started up the whining again, I said, "Fine. I have something written up and all ready to go for you". It was a list of plyometric moves and some weighted exercises alternated with running and short rest periods. She likes being outside and having me guide her through it, but I work her hard, so there is quite a bit of whining. Surprisingly, though, she came up to me one night before bed and hugged me and thanked me for helping her. I was so moved. I am proud of how hard she has worked the last few days. Between that, the sprints and basketball on the driveway, she will be plenty active this summer. Just hope we can keep it up!

No comments: