Saturday, January 5, 2013

One week down

It's hard to believe that exactly one week ago today, I started my journey to health by giving up two things that seem to be the main staple in the American diet these days - sugar and grains.

One week with absolutely NO starches or sugars. And it's been surprisingly easy.

There were a couple of times I almost slipped up, by accident. Like when I'm making a nutella sandwich for my little girl and bring my finger up to my mouth to lick the chocolate off then stop myself. "Whoa! That was close!" I would be absolutely devastated if I messed up this good thing I've got going!

Yesterday was the first day out of the week that I had a longing to eat like I used to. We had some free pizza coupons to use up and so I ordered pizza for the rest of the family while I ate my delicious wild caught Alaskan salmon. But smelling and seeing that pizza gave me my first twinge of the old cravings I knew so well. It passed about as quickly as it came. Thank goodness. I held strong and was very satisfied with my salmon and mushroom saute. And even had dessert to look forward to.

I made the most incredible apple spice muffins yesterday - completely healthy but you'd never guess it! The batter was fabulously light and airy and the finished product surprised me. Usually there is some sort of tiny giveaway when you make treats healthier by substituting healthy ingredients for bad ones. But I can say with all honesty that you wouldn't be able to tell. At all. They were that good. And I made them myself so I know what I put in them. Otherwise, I'd never believe it! Mmmm.

Tomorrow it sounds like the family and I will be taking a trip into lake country to do a little cross country skiing. That is one of my favorite winter activities. I just hope that I have some relief in my muscle soreness by then! I have NEVER been so sore. And for me to say that just goes to show how bad it really is. And it's not just one muscle group, it's all over. My back, shoulders, biceps, quads, hammies and butt. I can barely walk. It's all from the 2 workouts I did this past week. If that doesn't get my body in the best shape ever, nothing will!

And on that note, I am so so so so SOOOOO excited for summer! I'll want to wear my bikini everywhere I go! It's only been a week but already I'm proud of myself. I feel awesome (despite the sore muscles) and I'm already leaner. I have a stunning red dress that I'm just dying to wear, it was a tad tight when I bought it. Yesterday I tried it on and it slid on with ease. No belly bulge, just a flat firm stomach. I'm my biggest critic but even I have to admit....I looked hot! I'm going to have to take a picture of myself in this dress, it's amazing. A show stopper no doubt. I feel sexy times 100 when I wear it. Can't wait for my husband to take me out on Valentines day. I'm going to knock his socks off!

No comments: