Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fun card game to play with your kids

Last workout day of the week today. It hardly feels like I've worked out at all! Although during my burst training sessions, my muscles are screaming and lungs are burning!

Today was super fast upper. Let's just say LOTS and LOTS of pull ups and push ups of every variety. It was tough! Can't wait to see my arms, chest and back by summer after this type of training. What changes are you hoping to see with your current training schedule?

Tonight for dinner, I made grain free pancakes (recipe from ML book, of course) with some home made syrup - berries, a little water and some xylitol simmered until thickened. OMG! This one is a home run! Who says you can't eat your favorites when eating healthy??

My sweet husband brought home a huge 54oz tub of organic coconut oil from Costco today. It was an incredible bargain compared to the little jars we buy at the grocery store. Years ago I would be afraid to buy a tub that big, for fear it would go rancid before I used it up. Not the case these days! I go through that stuff like crazy!

Hanna has been working out with me this week. Every day, her alarm goes off at 6:00am and she comes to get me and we go downstairs for our workout. So proud of her!

And as far as my other two munchkins, they are growing up with a love for fitness! They beg to play the "exercise game" nearly every night. It's such a fun way to sneak in a little workout. You get a plain deck of cards and pick an exercise for each suit, like this:

hearts - squats
diamonds - lunges
clubs - push ups
spades - pull ups
Aces - jump lunges
Kings - jumping jacks
Queens - jump squats
Jacks - box jumps

the numbered suit cards, you do the specified exercise the number of times as represented by the card
All of the Ace, King, Queen, Jack cards we do 30 seconds of the specified exercise.

So if you draw a 7 of hearts, you would do 7 squats
If you draw a King (any suit) you would do 30 seconds of jumping jacks
And so on

If you draw a joker, you can pick an exercise to give to another player.
It's really fun. And kids LOVE it. Mine always like to flex their arms and show me their muscles. They are so proud when they can properly do an exercise that Mama does. It makes me beam with pride.

If they grow up with a good example, they can learn good habits to last a lifetime.

No comments: