Friday, February 1, 2013

When others try to drag you down


I had my nutrition consultation yesterday, and while I knew it was going to be good, I didn't realize that I would teach the teacher something ;)

I bought a ticket for a "makeover" meeting this Saturday, hosted by my chiropractic clinic (and Maximized Living Doctor). It's basically for people who want to lose weight (20lbs in 30 days!) but also for people who just want to be the best person they can be. When I bought the ticket, I was given a nutrition diary to write down EVERYTHING I ate for 5 days, including brand names, amounts, etc. And I did.

Yesterday, at my consultation, she said, "Charlotte, your diet is AMAZING! I'm getting hungry looking at this!".  Me: grinning ear to ear. I knew my diet has been stellar. I did. But I thought maybe she would tell me to eat more veggies or something. Her one criticism was, "The only thing I'm concerned about is that maybe you aren't getting enough calories." - to which I was blown away. I said that I don't see how that would be possible because of all the fat calories I eat. I mean, I cook with real butter and real cream (organic), I eat tons of nuts, coconut oil, avocados, etc. I'm really not concerned about calories. And she seemed satisfied enough with that. She was also happy that I was drinking a good quality whey protein powder daily, so I could build lean muscle. "It's not soy is it?" - she asked. "NO!" I said. LOL! Maybe I'll do a post another day about why soy is not the health food people think it is.

I even brought along my Wheat Belly book to show her a couple of my "go to" recipes and she was ecstatic because one of them was for walnut "bread". She said that the hardest thing for her when she is on the Advanced Plan like me, is not eating bread. So this grainless wonder is going to help her. Also, the home made flax wrap (grain free) is a great recipe to have in your arsenal of healthy alternatives. She copied off the recipes and was going to go buy the book ;)

She said I was a star patient. Yes! And I said it was because when I set my mind to something, I am so driven and focused on my goal, nothing will stop me. Not even all the people in my life who are trying to convince me that I need to relax my diet a little! And that's EVERY SINGLE PERSON in my life except for my Maximized Living family at the clinic. Sometimes I feel like they are the only people who get it. They get my way of thinking about health.

Some people, even though you let them borrow your books and you try to help them understand, will STILL not get it. Because they don't want to be that committed. And that's fine! Just don't expect to still eat your processed food, drink your alcohol and do a little workout now and then, and the fat will disappear. Because it won't. And if you can't give up going out with friends and drinking or you can't give up your donuts, then you can't be too depressed about your weight. Because you are not putting your body first, it must not be that important to you. And, like I said, that's just fine! Everyone has different priorities. Don't get upset with me for telling it like it is! Sometimes, I say things you don't want to hear simply because the truth is a hard pill to swallow.

The one thing that really irritates me, is how much other people seem to care about what I eat. It really should make NO difference to anyone else what I put in MY mouth. I mean, honestly, they act like they just can't be happy unless they see me eat cake!! I just don't get it. And frankly, it pisses me off. My husband, a Scandinavian man through and through (he did not grow up in America), has to make Fat Tuesday Buns (semlor) every year around this time. They are absolutely heavenly! But when he asked me if I would eat them this year when he made them and I said no, he got mad! Seriously?! I told him not to let that stop him from enjoying them with the kids. But I can tell he's just really miffed about the fact that I won't eat them. And it's like that with everything I won't eat. Every time he's eating candy or something he KNOWS I don't eat, he asks me if I want some. He is trying to get me to eat a crappy diet like he does. Why? Why can't he just be happy for me, proud of me, supportive of my goals??? He acts how I would expect him to act if my goal were to tattoo every inch of my body and see how many extra holes I can put in my face (for jewelry). Because THAT he wouldn't like. If there was one thing I really don't like about my husband, it's the lack of moral support he gives me.

It shouldn't matter to others. But my chiropractor says that people act that way because they are jealous. They don't have the dedication to their diets they wish they had (like I do) and so they want to sabotage me so I'm up to the neck in junk food, like them. Well, I've held fast this time. They all know I mean business. And slowly, they are starting to realize that and eventually, they will just let it go. I now know how strong I must be to withstand all of the scrutiny and all of the criticism and not falter in my own commitment to my goals. At least I'm smart enough to be proud of my own self for that! Even if no one else is. I'm doing this for ME and my children. Not anyone else. So it doesn't matter what they think. It still would be nice to be supported. I don't need praise, I just don't want the negativity.

How do you deal with negativity when trying to reach your goals?

No comments: