Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I'm doing something right!

I know I go back and forth a lot between wanting to be a healthy person and just living a normal life without a care in the world. But every once in a while, something will happen that makes me realize that I need to ignore all of the outside influences and just go with my gut. My gut says, live a healthy lifestyle. And here is a great example of why I should:

If you've been reading this blog over the last couple of months, you know that I have been following a Maximized Living lifestyle. Although now, I'm no longer on the Advanced Plan but the Core Plan so that I can start to incorporate certain grains back into my diet.

A couple of nights ago, my chiropractic clinic, Freedom Chiropractic http://freedomchc.com/, hosted a recipe potluck night, where members could bring in one of the recipes from the Maximized Living nutrition books for all to sample. It was fantastic! My personal favorites were the butternut squash soup and the coconut macaroons. I hadn't tried either of those before. But all the food was beyond delicious.

Anyway, Eden came with me, my 10 year old daughter. On the way home, out of the blue she said to me, "I want to start eating healthier. How can I eat healthier?" I. Almost. Cried. I was SO happy to hear her say that. Finally, it seemed, a healthy lifestyle was starting to rub off on at least one of my kids!

I told her, for one thing, she could ditch the sugary cereal and crackers she always eats. I know that it's my fault for buying it. But I didn't replenish the stash at last weeks shopping trip. I had said when the box was empty, they would have to find another alternative. And they have. I've been buying the organic apple slices (precut and individually bagged) at Costco and they LOVE them! So they have one of those and a string cheese for snack instead. BIG improvement, especially for Emma. And now Eden has been eating oatmeal for breakfast. I haven't seen her eat a bowl of oatmeal in AGES! Emma isn't at an oatmeal kind of place yet, but she has toast instead of sugar, which is an improvement as well.

I'm really moderating what Hanna eats pretty much all the time and she hates it. She whines about it all the time. But, if I didn't, she would eat junk, and a LOT of it. So, not only am I policing what she eats, but how much. She complains of still being hungry after a meal, but when I tell her to eat all the fresh veggies she wants (she loves fresh bell peppers) she doesn't, so I don't think she is really that hungry. Just looking for seconds. Eventually, I'm hoping her stomach will shrink enough that she won't need to eat so much to feel full. But it sure is taking a long time! Her workout habits are really terrible again. Most of the time, I force her into it and suffer the whole time. It's not very fun to have to find the energy to workout hard myself and all the while, get her motivated to move her butt, too. Her big thing lately is getting muscle cramps. Because I'm so afraid she'll pull a hamstring muscle again, I will let her stop if she feels like it might happen again. And I'm afraid she is just using that excuse too often just to get out of working hard. So now, I've just been going downstairs with Eden and not even asking Hanna. I just don't feel like a fight. I hope that one day, she will see the fun in it and elect to join us on her own. I hate to force her, even though I know it's for her own good.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that despite some people thinking what I do is "extreme" or "nutty" I will try to not let it interfere with doing what I feel is right. I'm bringing up some pretty awesome kids. And when I hear them say that they don't want to have to worry about their weight or their health when they are older, so they want to start being healthy now - well, I must be doing something right!

No comments: