Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Crazy Busy!

My schedule these days....wow. I used to think I was busy before. I have become an absolute master at stretching my day as far as it will go.

The hardest part of everything seems to be finding openings in my day to squeeze everything in. It's really hard to plan ANYTHING ahead. But so far I have been handling it without cracking. I'm sleeping like a baby at night, so that helps immensely too.

I am up early for work every day, luckily my body has acclimated well. The only downfall is that on weekends, when I want to sleep in, I can't. Not that I ever really could. At least not after having kids. I'm always in bed by 8:30 because I NEED my 8 hours of sleep. And I don't feel bad about that because sleep is important for a healthy body and happy mind.

This week, I am working longer hours at the gym because a coworker is out of town. I'm also keeping busy in my "off" hours at home designing digital goodies for my online shop and filling any custom orders that come in. My girls are in tennis and swimming a few nights a week, I am in fitness classes a few times a week plus I'm trying to get my regular workouts in after my shift. I'm still trying to delegate the housework among everyone who lives here although I find that in the end, I'm doing most of it anyway. I know it probably sounds like I'm whining a bit, but really I'm just amazed that I have been able to make it all work, and pretty smoothly at that!

I have to admit it, I am becoming addicted to group fitness classes. They are SO MUCH FUN! And that hour goes by unbelievably fast. Last night, a friend and I did Dance Fit (my favorite class so far) and when the instructor said it was time to cool down I thought, "what??!! it can't be an hour already" ...but it was! Such a blast! It isn't hard but you really get your sweat on. The hardest part is learning the moves in the beginning. I'm still learning but I'm far more comfortable with them now, so I can really focus on bringing my intensity up.

Aside from that, I hit the weight room after work. I'm not lifting heavy anymore, I'm focusing mostly on metabolic circuit training. Getting my heart rate way up, working out hard and fast. I'm trying to work on upper body strength also, to prepare for Hard Charge. Some days I take it slower and just glide on the elliptical. I'm not running anymore. Last month, for whatever reason, I decided I wanted to run more. I guess I figured I better make sure I still could since I had some runs coming up in June. I was on the treadmill anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour each day. And I was starting to dread it. I really just don't enjoy it. Outside, it's different. It's enjoyable. But that treadmill........yikes! I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else.

So I would hear these women talking at the gym about how they hated running, it's so boring, it's so tedious, yadda yadda (my ears perked up with interest) - so they tried Dance Fit. And BAM, they are dropping fat like crazy! Do you know why that is? Because it's FUN! And when you like something, you are going to want to keep coming back for more. Plus, it's a really great workout. A lot of hip movements which is engaging your core the entire time. And you get to wear a cute little jingly skirt ;)

Anyway, that's what's been going on. Oh! And the 5k last Saturday was great! It was rainy and cold, but a good time. Our feet were SOAKED from having to run through puddles. I finished in 27 minutes. I don't know if that's good or bad. But it wasn't about running a fast time, it was about being there for a cause. I saw that you can run for a charity at the Fargo Marathon too and I was thinking about doing that too. When there is a reason for the run, they are so much more meaningful. And the small runs, like the 5k and 10k are perfect because they are manageable without weeks of training.

Hope you all are keeping up with your fitness endeavors and that this is the year you reach your goals!

No comments: