Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The knee

Knee is bad again today. I actually skipped out on dance class last night because of it. :( I've been really super tired the last couple of days too, so it was good that I took a night off.

Today at work, it felt swollen. It's on the under side of the knee, towards the center. Weird spot. But it felt like it was bulging out a bit. So I happened to talk to this avid gym goer when he stopped by to get his daily smoothie, and he thought that since it was a gradual thing it sounded like an overuse injury. He said, maybe I should do some curls today, and leave my lower body alone. Yeah, that's a smart idea. Did I listen?

Of course not. I'm so stupid.

I only had lightly weighted squats and lunges on the agenda for today though so I figured it would be ok. But then again, I also had jump squats, mountain climbers, butt kicks and things of that nature - which probably aggravates it more so than a static move like squats. I don't know. I'm no doctor.

Why is it so hard to rest sometimes? Even if you KNOW you need it. Even when your body is giving you signs, it's just hard to face injury. I think of that poor basket ball player with the horrific compound fracture a few weeks back. He'll be out for at least a year (I heard). Imagine what that has to be like for an athlete of his caliber? I'm just a fitness "hobbiest" and it's hard!

I'm going to head out and see if I can't find a good supportive brace somewhere and see if that helps any. Also some icing and foam rolling might help. I've been sort of symptom checking online and the good news is that according to what I'm feeling and where, it doesn't sound like it's anything serious. Although one site had mentioned osteoarthritis, which is one big scary word to me!

I bet 9 out of 10 people probably believe that if you have arthritis pain, the worst thing you can do is pick up some dumbbells, but think again. The arthritis foundations says weight lifting can even help people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) function better and reduce soreness, stiffness and pain. So even if I was on the verge of arthritis, it wouldn't stop me from lifting!

In fact, there is really a plethora of conditions that weight lifting has shown to improve. It doesn't just sculpt yummy muscle - it actually improves quality of life. I'm fairly certain the knee pain goes hand in hand with my sudden addiction to ......shhhhh.....cardio. I know, I know. But I can't help it, that dang dance fit class is just so much fun!!

I've had clicking and cracking in my knees ever since I was a little kid. I always thought it was funny that when I squatted down and my knees cracked, every adult in the room would wince and tell me about how much trouble I was going to have with my knees when I got older. In fact, I got a lot of negative comments about how things would be "when I got older", which is probably why I've been trying to turn back the clock with nutrition and exercise. Outside influences definitely shape who you become when you are just an impressionable child. You absorb everything like a sponge. But, I look at it this way: if I didn't hear these comments, I might not have the passion for health that I do today. It's a blessing in disguise, really. Because it certainly is keeping me young!

No comments: