Tuesday, November 2, 2010

wow

Was I whiny yesterday or what???

I'm looking forward to today since I get to modify my workout. I have been at it for 6 weeks, and although I was planning on going to 8 before switching, I decided to do it now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do differently. I really liked the method I was using. It was different every workout, performed over and over each week, adding pounds for progression. It kept me happy. I didn't get bored. It seemed just the right length. Frankly, I'm scared to change it because I did like it so well.

But I know it's the right thing to do. I liked the rep range (for whatever reason, I choose 7 reps, 3-4 sets of each exercise). I think I'll make it an even 8 reps now. Not sure what I'll do as far as sets. Maybe 3-4 again.

I'm going to make sure to incorporate compound movements so I can work the most muscle fibers in the least amount of time. Here's what I know I'll use for sure:

1)Squats - squats, squats, and more squats! They have proved to be a pretty good butt builder ;)
2)Push Ups - I want to be able to pump out 50 of these things without batting an eye
3)Deadlifts - I'm so addicted to this exercise. By far my favorite.
4)Pull Ups - I need a bar. Birthday gift idea, honey!
5)Chest Press
6)Military Press
7)Dips
8)Lunges - Maybe
9)Bicep Curls
10)Renegade Dumbbell Rows
And some ab work of course.


That's what I can think of right now. I'm just not quite sure how I will utilize these so that it's different than what I've been doing.

But for example, maybe, instead of using the barbell for squats and focusing on adding poundage each week, I can just pick a set of dumbbells and work on at 10 reps each time? Something like that. This way, I can still use the bread and butter exercises that I like without getting too funky.

And maybe, since I'm stalled progress-wise, higher reps can break me out of that plateau. We'll see what happens 6 weeks from now!

I consider the past 6 weeks successful in that I've been extremely consistent with my workouts. But also a little frustrating because I haven't seen any real noticeable changes, other than strength, perhaps.

Another thing that seems a bit odd is how slow it seems to be going as far as building my arms. I have read that since arm muscles are smaller, it doesn't take as long to notice changes. But for me, I don't seem to notice any new definition in my arms without flexing. With all the weight I've been lifting over the years, my arms should have major definition. Just seems odd to me.

I'll never stop trying!

No comments: