Thursday, October 4, 2012

This is my schlep

I came across this blog yesterday (not even sure how) called the Arty RunnerChick at CaitChock.com. I typically don't read runner's blogs. But I couldn't quit reading it. I was fascinated by this girl's love for running. I don't want to say she sounds obsessed because I myself have been painted with that brush - just not for running. But she indeed loves it......really REALLY loves it.

All the talk of fartleks and garmins and what-have-you. It's a different world than mine. Runners have their own set of rules and crazy training regimens. And I believe her when she says that she thinks runners are born with a runner gene. Just the way I believe people are born to be.....whatever they are good at. But I don't necessarily think you have to be GOOD at something to be born for it. You just have to have a special love for the thing. I don't think I was born to lift weights. I really just prefer to lift over any other fitness option out there. And it seems to work well enough for me. If I was born for anything, I still haven't found what it is yet.

I'm guessing that with my body type, I would probably be more suited to be a runner, but I just don't enjoy it. I want a more athletic body - one that gains muscle easily. I look more like the twiggy runners I am so desperate NOT to look like. But, it is what it is, I guess.

My husband ACTUALLY told me that I've lost so much weight I look like I'm 2 seconds from death! There's an ego boost for me! Yes, those exact words. I had no idea he was so concerned about my weight! I've just got a really fast metabolism. I mean, I probably eat more than he does 9 times out of 10. I've cut WAY back on my workouts (only 3 days a week at 30-40 minutes a crack). There's really not much else I can do, aside from laying on the couch and eating french fries and cake all day. And I just refuse to go there. No need to clog my arteries to gain 10 pounds.

Maybe I have hyperthyroidism. At my last doctor appointment, he told me that my weight was a "bit" of a concern and asked me if I was trying to lose weight. Funny that he didn't suggest hyperthyroidism. Or, is that kind of thing visible from a blood test? Because I did have blood drawn and there was no note of anything amiss.

My point to telling you that whole schlep is that, I don't think any one person can say for sure what will give someone else body they want. A lot of people (myself included) will hand out basic information like any of the following:

"running will make you skinny!" - I hardly EVER run. And I'm skinny. There are people who run....and run.....and run....and run, and always look the same. And there are people who run just as much and look emaciated and unhealthy. It all just depends on the person. Sometimes I wonder if I should just start running 10 miles a day for like 3 months and than all of a sudden quit. I'd probably gain weight lightening fast.

"running will make you fat!" - this is about the most absurd thing ever. Of course running isn't going to make you fat. In fact, if you are fat, running is probably what you need! It's the overkill you have to be concerned with. If you plan on running marathons into your twilight years - than have no fear. Run like Gump! For the rest of us, once we get sick of all the running and stop....hello fat! Nice to see you again! Yes, this happened to me after my one (and only) half marathon. I gained 10 POUNDS! Now you understand my comment from the previous paragraph.

"lifting weights will make you gain weight!" - I lift weights. I STILL can't gain weight. Sure, you're definitely going to gain more muscle lifting than doing cardio, but the rate at which you gain is totally dependant on YOU. Some people add mass fairly quickly. While others have a harder time.

"lifting weights will give you a toned defined body" - to some extent, this is absolute truth. But I have religiously lifted for years and I STILL don't have the body that I feel is worthy of all that time and effort. It goes back to my theory that since every body is different, every form of exercise will produce different variations in results. That is why some people can eat pizza and ice cream and still look ripped while others need to eat clean for months to get that way.

The only thing that I personally could say absolutely works is "lifting weights will make you smaller". And if I said that, I would probably have a bunch of people telling me I'm off my rocker! People lift weights to GAIN, right? I wouldn't tell all the huge bodybuilders that if they lift weights, they will get smaller! Obviously, that isn't the case for them! But I lift weights, and I'm small. Those are the results I've gotten. And basically, those are pretty desirable results, from a female's perspective. Muscle is smaller, more compact, than fat. So when you lift weights, you DO actually get smaller. Women simply don't have the testosterone needed for bulk. Although, (depending on your body type) you might get bigger at first. Because you are adding muscle underneath the fat. But soon you have a blazing fast metabolism that will melt off the fat - producing the new smaller, more muscular you.

But you see, that's why fitness is not a one size fits all deal. I can't truthfully be writing a blog that tells you how to get the body you want because what works for me, might not work for you.

Yeah, you feel sorry for me right? A tough problem to have, being too skinny. Well, it's actually a real drag when it's not what you want. But I have an unyielding determination to go after what I want. And life has proven over and over to me that when I want something bad enough....I get it. I have what a lot of dream seekers lack......PERSEVERANCE. I work hard for what matters to me. No one will ever be able to convince me that they work harder. Success? It's in my genes ;)










No comments: