Thursday, April 29, 2010

slow recovery

Well, it's been one week since my injury and the speed at which I'm recovering is S-L-O-W. I had a very severe sprain, so I'm not surprised that I still can't walk on it, but I was so hoping...

I can't put any weight on it yet and it is terribly frustrating. The swelling is almost gone now but I still have bruising all around my ankle. I did a number on it alright! And I managed to get a subungual hematoma on my big toe as well. I was saying that I don't know HOW I managed to mangle my ankle AND my toe and the Dr. said the same thing. He kept asking me how it happened because he never sees those two injuries together.

The doctor also said I can try walking on it as much as is comfortable. Unfortunately it just isn't possible, try as I might. I guess in the past it was thought that resting this type of injury was best but studies show that movement is going to speed the healing. Seems scary to me because every time I try to step with any amount of weight on it, I feel like I'm just going to hurt it worse.

I graduated from the boot to a splint. The inside of the splint has gel so I can put it into the freezer and strap it to my ankle nice and cold. It's ok but it doesn't give the same support as the boot so it's pretty much useless as far as a walking aid. Today I wore the boot so I could walk around the house and actually DO something. I figure that can't hurt. I'm at least able to put pressure on it that way.

Good news? I can start weight training any time. I did do some last Sunday but nothing since. I was uncomfortable and maybe even a tad depressed by my situation and just didn't feel like it. Maybe I will feel up to it in another day or two.

Gosh, I hope I can stop injuring myself so I can reach my body goals one of these days! Some unforeseen force is keeping me from it. Maybe it's bad karma. I told my mom that and she laughed. Not a big believer in karma apparently.

I probably won't have much worth posting for a while, at least not on a regular basis. Just another speed bump in the road of life, eh? I'll get there. It's my destiny. I just know it!

No comments: