Thursday, December 2, 2010

I'm a protein type

If that doesn't mean anything to you, you probably haven't read The Diet Solution by Isabel De Los Rios.

But anyway, I'm a protein type...my body functions better when I feed it more proteins than carbs. I need to eat less bread and pasta and more meat (including dark meat turkey, steak, etc).

And this makes total sense to me since I tend to eat more carbs than I should mainly because it's a lot easier to eat a couple slices of toast than it is to cook up a steak (hence, not getting the fat loss/muscle gain results as quickly as I want).

I've tried sticking to her "diet" plan. I've got sample menus for 20 entire days of eating right, so there is no question how I need to be feeding my body. But even so, I find it difficult to adhere and I give up. Not that it's necessarily difficult, just that I am too lazy to have a vegetable with every meal or a fruit or whatever the case may be, and sometimes I'm not even hungry for it.

Like today for lunch, I made myself a fresh burger. I just got back from the grocery store and I thought, mmmm, a fresh burger sounds good. So I whipped up one fabulously tastey burger and ate it on a make-shift bun out of sprouted grain bread. Then I forced myself to eat a big carrot. Not that I don't like carrots, because I do. But because I wasn't hungry anymore and I felt like I was overeating. It's a very difficult thing for me to get past.

But, apparently, you need to eat certain foods at certain times, even with other foods, to see the full benefit. And I'm not used to it. I need to re-train myself to eat. And I can't prove it wrong because obviously the way I've been eating isn't working for me. And I've not stuck with this way of eating for more than a few days. But I really want to try.

And supposedly losing fat isn't just as basic as calories in vs. calories out unless you are severely overweight. Once you get close to a goal or in my case where I'm really considered "underweight" for my age and height (but still have fat to lose), it becomes a hormonal thing. And my body needs to be hormonally balanced for it to happen. Sounds horrible. Good luck with that, right? Stars, sun and moon need to be aligned and it only happens every 15th year....blah blah blah...

I lost my train of thought because I started typing this yesterday and didn't get to finish it. I've been so dang busy lately. My head is just swirling constantly with everything I need to remember to do. Whoever thinks the life of a stay-at-home mom is easy has their head crammed way too far up their ass! I speak the truth. I am the one who takes care of EVERYTHING EXCEPT putting money in the checking account, let me tell you! Sometimes I wish my life was as simple as waking up, eating my breakfast (not worrying about everyone else), going to work for 8 hours, coming home to dinner on the table, and then relaxing on the couch the rest of the night. The man has it easy, trust me!

Anyway, I was on the phone calling family members about my mom's surgery, then abruptly had to scramble to pick up my preschooler because the teacher doesn't like it when we are late. And then I never got back to the blog because I wanted to bring the Christmas decorations upstairs so I wouldn't forget to start putting them up. That's a week long job in itself!

So, forgive me because I don't remember the exact point of this post. All I can tell you now is that I am trying this way of eating. It really is taking quite a bit of thought in the beginning. I'm hoping it becomes more habitual over time. Adding more protein to my diet sure can't hurt since I'm lifting weights and want to add muscle. My quads are feeling so firm these days, I just get an instant high from it. I was calling my dog this morning, patting my legs and I had to stop and relish in the delight of how non squishy they were! AND, I can see one of the lines that separates the quad muscles! The rectus femoris and vastus lateralis. It's very slight, but it's there! Enough to make me excited and proud of the hard work I've done.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: