Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 37 Chest/Abs/Cardio



I am drinking a "green shake" as I type this. I guess it doesn't really qualify as a shake, but it's green.

Here's what's in it:
spinach
cucumber
tomato
carrot
water

It's SO much easier for me to just drink my veggies. Even though it looks disgusting and the pulpy consistency would be a turn off for most people, I would imagine. I really do enjoy it though. The only thing I don't enjoy is my grocery bill after having to buy so much damn fresh produce.

It really is more expensive to eat healthier. Last week, I conducted my own little experiment. I bought prepacked, easy to make foods for my family. I ate my usual foods still, which was a nuisance because I had to make two meals each time we ate together. But, for the sake of an experiment, I didn't complain. Here's what I found out: my grocery bill was at least $80 cheaper for the week. No lie. Of course the grocery bill depends on so many things. Such as, do we need to buy Tide and shampoo and paper towels and other non-food items? Anyway, I bought things like, frozen pizza, ring sausage (polish sausage), boxed flavored rice, boxed flavored noodles, boxed flavored potatoes, canned soup, frozen breaded chicken patties, etc. It made dinner a snap and everyone liked the food for the most part. AND it was cheaper.

I can't solely blame us as individuals, for being overweight and unhealthy in this country. We have uber busy schedules: work, kids, after school activities, meetings, house cleaning, homework, the list goes on and on. Some people probably just eek by on low energy and are forced to buy/make convenient food. And then get sucked into a trap. A vicious cycle that never ends. We eat the quick easy food because we are tired and stressed and then stayed tired because the food is almost void of nutritional value. At least, this is how I imagine it probably is.

Then factor in the amount of money you probably would save buying convenience foods and who would want to eat healthier? Quicker, easier, cheaper sounds good to most people. And healthy takes the back burner. I totally get that. I wonder often what shape my health and body would be in right now if I had a full time job or if my husband didn't bring in a very good income. People do what they can with what they have. It certainly would make living healthier more difficult for some. But not impossible. I guess it comes down to priorities. What are you willing to give up for health?

Workout today:

Wide grip bench press: I really need to find out the weight of this bar. But, if it truly is 45lbs, then I did 8 at 45lbs/ 8 at 60lbs/ 8 at 65lbs/ 6 at 70lbs/ 4 at 70lbs/ 8 at 60lbs

Push ups: 45

Cable crossover: 10 reps at 30lbs X 3 sets/ 8 reps at 35lbs

Smith machine incline bench press: Not sure the weight of this bar, maybe 10lbs? So, 30lbs for 7 reps/ 5 reps/ 5 reps/ and 20lbs for 10 reps

subbed side to side pushups for vertical fly: 10 at 30lbs X 3 sets

Superset:
toe touchers: 20 reps
crunches: 20 reps
End superset
(that was supposed to be 3 sets but I got the most horrible cramp in my upper abs that I couldn't continue. It was the strangest feeling ever. I would've thought I was having a heart attack if I wasn't positive it was just a cramp. OUCH!)

Roman chair: 3 X 10

Cable crunch: 50lbs for 5 reps/ 40lbs for 10 reps X 2 sets

Cardio: 30 minutes on elliptical - tension at 8 incline at 10 (it's not really called incline, it's cross-something-or-other but I can't ever remember the word. Anyway, I'm actually getting used to this machine and don't hate it quite as much. It can be a pretty tough workout if you want it to be! Even at the easiest setting I can imagine it to be a better leg workout than, say, walking.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

thats a feel good photo of all that veg! its very expensive in australia to eat healthy! our bananas were $12/kg due to cyclone ruining crops and even things not affected by weather are exi. the humble apple is $5/kg atm. even eggs - if you buy the free range good grain fed ones they are around $5.50 per dozen, not to mention organic ones! - at 5 egg whites each morning - i dont think so. so i just settle on the $2.20 aldi brand and dont think how they get there! i had a perfect succesful day one yesterday (which is really day 31) - yeeha!! chest/abs and i did shoulders also, then when i had to wait for Brooke (dancing daughter) to finish her dance class i did 10 KILLER hills and a walk (40 mins) for cardio - i was gasping on those hills and i was only walking - they are massive. feeling tired but good - thanks to you !!! xx

Charlotte said...

That is SO AWESOME, Amanda! LOVE to see that confidence and motivation back in you!!!! You are inspiring!