Thursday, September 20, 2012

How to uncover your abs

QUESTION: How much cardio do I do each week to get these abs?
 
 
ANSWER: 20 minutes

Total.

Per week.
  
You heard me.
 
It's a common misconception that all you need to do is cardio to bring out your abs. It's also a misconception that if you do a lot of crunches, you'll see your abs. The problem with that is, if you still have a layer of blubber over them, you'll never see the product of all those crunches. 
 
So how can you bring out your inner six-pack goddess? Lift weights at least 3 times per week and stop eating junk. It's really that simple. I NEVER had abs like these until I followed these two rules.
 
I cycle through my training routines every month or so. So some months I will split up body parts and hit them 4-5 days per week. Then other times, I will work the entire body 3 times per week. Sometimes  I will use heavier weight for lower reps and more sets, other times I will use slightly less weight and keep the rep range at 10-12 for 3 sets. I like to mix it up.
 
One of my favorite methods is the pyramid method. It's like a giant super set, and each set you do, you lower the weight. For example:
 
I might complete a set of DB military presses with 20lb dumbbells, then right away grab a pair of 15 pounders for another set, then finish off with a set using 12 pounders. No rest in between. After the burn of the first set, picking up a lighter weight feels a bit easier so you can push your muscles further. And further still with an even lighter weight on the last set. This is really good for getting that "pump".
 
What is your favorite way to train with weights?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

i can't wait to get back into weights charlotte!!! i have lost 6kgs so far (yay) and when i can fit into my skinnies like i did before i'll switch to weights !!! probably 3-4 kg more *sigh* xx

Charlotte said...

WHOO HOO! Happy to hear you are having success! Keep it up, girl! I know you are a weight training lover like me and can really bust it out. Can't wait to hear more from you.