Sunday, September 16, 2012

It's what I do

Hey there!

I haven't forgot about you, really I haven't.

.....cricket.....cricket......

Truth be told, I've been busy sitting on my arse all last week. It's because I'm getting ready to launch a business and basically what I will be doing requires a lot of computer time. That part sucks in a way, but I really do love what I will be doing. And that's very important to me. Loving what I do.

This past week was a fairly successful one. I missed one workout (the easiest one though) to go have a beer and a burger with my mom and sister. Well worth it! And ended up having maybe one more cheat than I should have, but I still call the week a success.

Things I need to improve one for next week:

1) Eating more veggies - this always seems to be on my goal list
2) Getting all my workouts done - usually not a problem
3) Taking all my supps
4) Cycle macros

I will tell you that my new training routine seems really easy on paper but it definitely gets me pumped! They are short and to the point - generally 30 to 40 minutes, and twice each week I will get in 10 minutes of intervals immediately following the weight workout. So, at the longest, I'm in the gym 50 minutes.

They are pretty tough because I'm using a tempo that I normally wouldn't. Here's something for you to try: do split squats (as pictured below) but don't just go through the motions, take your time and lower sloooowly for 3 counts, pause for one count at the bottom, then back up for one rep. And do 10 each leg that way. OUCH! WAY HARDER than if you usually use a 1 to 1 lower and raise tempo.


Want a variation that works your shoulders at the same time? Overhead split squat. It looks more like a static lunge.

 
Here's what regular overhead squats look like. They are way harder than regular squats and you will really feel it in your shoulders the next day.
 
Now THAT'S a squat! Look at how low she is. She is obviously very strong.
AND...she's smiling :)
A good lift will do that to you.
 
It's a tough sport. It's not for the faint at heart. It requires skill, focus and determination. It's hard work. It burns. You will sweat. You will get short of breath. Your heart will race. You will burn calories. You will build muscle. You will get stronger, healthier, and more fit. You will be in an elite group. THIS is a workout. It's not some stroll in the park.
It's what I do.