Wednesday, September 12, 2012

irritating or motivating?

I happened to read a little blurb about posting workouts to Facebook and whether most people found it to be motivating or just plain annoying. Here were some responses:

"When I see people post about what an "awesome workout" they had I feel as if they are fishing for compliments. Working out makes you feel great that should be enough."

"I would think posting about anything all time, no matter what it is, would get incredibly annoying for those reading after awhile."

"I workout almost everyday and it's like taking a shower. No one would care if I posted about my daily showers."

 "I like it they are proud of themselves and can end up motivating others."

"Annoying! I have one friend that I want to say 'alright, we get it - you LOVE Zumba'".

"I don't care how much you workout - how much weight you lift, how many miles you run EVERY SINGLE DAY. I am not impressed and you just want attention. Sorry. I'm not giving it to you. It makes you look needy!"

"I find that those talking about running, how far they ran, ect.. are braggy but I think I'm secretly jealous. I wish I could do that, but I HATE running."

"The truth is why do people feel the need to post that shit???? Like who really cares!!"
 
"A little bit of both-- annoying in the sense that A) I don't really care and B) I don't really care because you're making me feel super duper lazy!! So I usually comment on those statuses with something like "I just sat on the couch for 2 hours!!!" No one cares about that either."

"I find it motivating."

So, how do I feel about it? Well after reading those comments, I think I will turn off the auto-post function on Shapelink! LOL

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that just judging by the amount of "likes" or comments you get would give you the answer to that question. Obviously I exercise often. I have a blog devoted to it. Everyone who knows me, already knows I workout a lot. They don't care how much I can squat. No one has ever said, "Wow, way to squat more than your bodyweight!! Great job! Keep lifting!" So posting it to Facebook would probably just make me look like I was fishing for compliments or bragging. I have enough trouble convincing people that I don't have an unhealthy obsession the way it is, posting how often I workout would just be fuel for that fire.

Personally, I don't find it annoying. I follow several people who post daily, and sometimes multiple times per day, about their workouts or other motivational and inspiring words. It may be annoying to people who don't exercise because it could make them feel bad about themselves. But those people have a choice; they can either use it in a positive way and get moving themselves or they can be negative and see it as a rub it in their face.

What is your opinion?

And I saw this on Facebook today after I wrote this post:

 
Thought it was fitting to the subject.

No comments: