Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Legs Day

My new 4 day split routine is as follows (the lower body portion):

Lower body:
Squats 3 x 10 @ 60lbs
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 3 x 10 @ 60lbs
Leg Extensions 3 x 10 @ 60lbs
Lying Hamstring Curls 2 x 10 @ 40lbs 1 x 10 @ 35
Standing Calf Raises 3 x 10 @ 60lbs
Lying Leg Raise 3 x 10
Ball Crunches 3 x 10

I got the routine from bodybuilding.com but I plugged in the appropriate weight...which I am still positive is too easy. BUT, I know it is important to incorporate some lighter weight/higher reps too. As long as I'm still lifting, I'm happy.

I haven't seen as much progress as I would like this past month with eating more carbs along side the heavy lifting. So, new month, new approach. I'm going to start to watch what I eat more. I think I had a more free attitude about what I ate since I knew my goal was to "carb up" and feed my muscles for growth. However, I tend to get carried away with that and start eating more junkie carbs than I'd like (i.e. garlic bread sticks, white buns, crackers, etc.).

So yesterday I spent a good portion of the afternoon going thru my healthy cookbooks and trying to make a list of all my options that I can choose from when I have NO idea what to make for lunches and dinners. I've got a pretty good start on the list. And I think I pretty much have breakfasts DONE....right down to the appropriate portions of proteins (which, by the way, I figure I was not eating enough during this past month). When I sat down to actually figure out the numbers, I realized I had been guessing all wrong.

Apparently, I need about 115 grams of protein a day (although this, along with everything else in the diet/fitness world, is debatable). Some believe that you need 1g per pound of body weight, some think it's 1g per pound of lean muscle mass, who knows what is really right. I guess since everyone is different, experimenting on your own is really the only way you'll ever find out the surest thing for you.

But I needed a starting point, and since I'm now aware that I am actually eating far less protein than I thought, coupled with the fact that I have not seen much gains in muscle mass, I will bump up my protein intake. I'm shooting for 115 grams.

I started picking apart the breakfasts I most often consume. For me, breakfast is the easiest meal of the day, mainly because I alternate between the same 3 items and I like it that way. I discovered that if I'm going to get in 115g of protein a day, I will need to try and get between 19-25g in each meal (depending on if I'm eating 5 or 6 times that day - and I make that decision usually based on whether I'm weight training that day).

So, my breakfast options are as follows:

#1 4 egg white omelet w/ 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup onions and 1 tsp oil. Approx. 21.4g protein, 184.5 calories (calories a bit low, could add more oil)

#2 3 egg whites 1 whole egg scramble w/ 1 glass skim milk. Approx. 24.8g protein, 216 calories. Just about perfect!

#3 packet plain instant oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp wheat germ, 1 packet truvia, 1 cup skim milk, 2 egg whites on the side. Approx. 21 protein, 286 calories.

#4 FiberOne cereal, 1 cup milk, 2 egg whites. Approx. 20 protein, 284 calories.

#5 1 slice Breadsmith 100% whole wheat bread, 3 egg whites 1 whole egg scramble. Approx. 20.8 protein, 236 calories (more calories when adding butter)

#6 Home-made muesli, low-fat yogurt, berries...(haven't figured the macro nutrients in this one yet, but I thought it was worth adding since this is supposed to be the breakfast of champions, one that will energize you and fuel you for hours afterward)

And those are MY choice breakfasts. Today I had #3. One thing worth noting, eggs REALLY fill me up nicely without adding tons of calories. I would eat them for every meal if I wasn't afraid of the horrid gas I'd probably get. LOL - And speaking of gas, this might be a bit too personal but I think the flax is responsible for my nightly bout with awful gas. I am only adding 1 tbsp to my diet daily and I thought after a while my body would get used to it and I could add another tbsp later in the day. But so far, it's still causing me a bit of gastrointestinal distress :( I still eat it though simply because I know how good it is for me.

No comments: