Thursday, August 30, 2012

strain

My whole body hurts today. My arms, my legs, my butt, my back....all sore. I told this to my husband when I woke up this morning and he said, "I feel....sorry for you????" - as if he wasn't sure if I liked the pain or not. Usually, when I say that I'm sore, I say it in a matter of fact way, and then quickly follow it with a comment about how it's a good sort of pain. I don't want to complain about it, because it's self inflicted. Of course I'd rather not be sore, but it is what it is. Comes with the territory. And it makes me feel as though I've done something good.

But, in addition to the regular soreness, I seem to have strained my lower back yesterday while deadlifting. I wasn't even lifting heavy! Only 85lbs.

I felt it as soon as I stepped away from the bar. "NO....no no no no no!" - I was screaming in my head. I really truly am as careful as I possibly can be at the gym because I don't want to injure myself. I'm not training to be a power lifter, only to improve my physique, so I don't see the point of lifting to my max every time and risking injury. Obviously I did something funky, even though I felt my form was perfect. I always look straight ahead in the mirror to ensure that my back is nice and flat, not rounded. If fact, I was just thinking to myself as I was doing the deadlifts how great my form was looking! I racked the bar and started to walk away.....and then I felt the pressure. Dang!

I don't think it's a really bad one though. I'm hoping it's like the last one I had, which only lasted a few days. Before that, it had been a really long time since I've had any kind of injury. I remember my knee and my shoulder used to give me problems, but for some miraculous reason, they never do anymore. Maybe it's some of the supps I take?? Or maybe all the lifting has made my joints healthier?

I'm not all that familiar with how to treat strains. Is it ice? Hanna recently pulled a hamstring muscle and her trainer told her to ice it. What have you all heard?

No comments: