Friday, August 17, 2012

Things that help my fitness

I can't live without:


1)Spinach & chocolate whey smoothies. An easy way to get in a serving of nutritious greens without even knowing it. And of course extra protein.

2)MiOENERGY liquid water enhancer in green thunder. This makes choking down BCAAs, Glutamine and Creatine MUCH more enjoyable. AND, I get a little dose of energy boosting caffeine. approx $3.50 for 18 servings, give or take. I can get way more because I only need a little flavor.

3)iPod (not the big fancy one but the smallest one you can get). It clips right onto your clothes, is small and light weight and fits all the songs you need and then some so you are always pumped up for your workout. approx $45

4)Lifting gloves. That's right, I'll admit to using weight lifting gloves like a little cupcake. But they honestly really help. When you do pull ups, especially. Because I will get instant calluses and blisters if I don't use them. I still get rough spots but not nearly as bad. I never lift without them!

 5)Polar heart rate monitor. Actually, I only use this some of the time or if I am really interested in finding out how much intensity I am using for a particular workout. Especially if I start a new routine or if I go for a run. Great way to time your workouts and keep track of your heart rate AND find out if your working in your fat burning or fitness zone. Really great tool. approx $100

6)Online workout tracker. Any one of them, take your pick. A great way to keep motivated by seeing how much time you are logging and seeing your friends' progress as well. And it's FREE!

7)Sleep Bug Pro for windows phone. Honestly, I swear I sleep better when I use this. And sleep is necessary to any fitness goal. I fall asleep to the soothing sounds of the beach, forest, river, even the city if I chose. You can pick from many different scenes and customize each one to leave out certain sounds you find distracting. Has the option of setting a timer or going all night. I hadn't used it in a while but turned it on last night and slept ALL night long. approx $2-4 - not sure what I paid for it.

8)Creatine. I don't know if it's psychological but it doesn't matter as long as you think it works. But I swear I can lift easier and get a better pump when I take creatine pre-workout. Sometimes I forget and I really notice a difference.

9)Home gym equipment. Not that you need it. Bodyweight is a useful enough tool. But having equipment at home such as dumbbells, a weight bench and a treadmill has been a lifesaver on those days when I can't get away to the gym. I've been working out at home all summer and I'm thankful to have the stuff I need.

10)I'm pushing it now, but my OCD requires me to make an even 10 numbered list ;) Blender bottles are a really nice addition to my fitness arsenal. The ball whisk inside makes shaking to blend protein powder a breeze. No more swallowing chunks of powder! I have 4 of them and use them constantly - so I guess that in itself is proof of their necessity for me.

What kinds of things do you use to help with your fitness goals?

No comments: