Tuesday, August 27, 2013

training schedule (tentative)

I'm trying to get back into training regularly so that I don't feel so dumpy anymore, and it's almost like my common sense has gotten fogged over with the rest of what I knew how to train for health. I was trying to make a workout schedule on Sunday and a really good solid plan that I could stick to seemed to elude me. Here's what I came up with:

Sunday: HIIT
              Weight training circuit
              XaBeat

Monday: Rest

Tuesday - Boot Camp
                 XaBeat

Wednesday: HIIT
                     Weight training circuit

Thursday: XaBeat (only half hour)
                 Boot Camp

Friday: Weight training circuit

Saturday: XaBeat
                HIIT

My goal was to get both my boot camp sessions in, 3 HIIT sessions in, 3 lighter weight training sessions in, and 3-4 XaBeat classes in a week. The only thing is, I'm not sure if I'm over reaching with this schedule. Boot camp and HIIT are two major stressors to the body (which is my main concern). I love the fact that both are going to help me torch calories and get my metabolism skyrocketing again, but I'm hoping that it isn't going to effect my cortisol levels. I've already been under enormous amounts of stress this year and I'm not sure adding to it would be wise.

Also, adding a weight training circuit 3 times per week - is that wise? This isn't a super heavy sets type of workout. Just moderate weight at moderate intensity. Something that I can handle doing, and enjoy it, not dread it (like boot camp).

And XaBeat, is just fun. It's an easy way to burn an extra 2000 calories a week. It's not a stressor at all.

I think I like this schedule, it seems doable. I am hoping that my first week on this schedule is successful. If I could just get my eating under control....

I try not to beat myself up. It's a mental game. I absolutely KNOW that I need to eat, especially when I'm working out hard. I absolutely KNOW that if I try to cut back too much, I won't be doing my body any favors. Yet, I've got this mental block about it. I associate eating with gaining weight - when instead I need to be constantly reminding myself that eating healthy at the appropriate times is fueling my next workout. If I don't have fuel in the tank, I'll run out of gas. And if I don't give it 110% when I workout, I'm missing out on a bigger calorie burn. And in the end, that it what I want. Because I am NOT liking the soft belly that this past year of incredibly high emotional stress has created. People, believe me when I tell you that stress is BAD BAD BAD for your body! I totally believe in the stress hormone cortisol contributing to belly fat. I'm trying so hard on a daily basis to destress myself but I have a loooong way to go to learn the proper techniques. I could actually benefit from a little Yoga or Bodyflow. What I should do is make meditation and stretching a part of my bedtime routine.

I know that LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio would be helpful for destressing, but I'm never going to stick to a plan that involves me running for an hour most days of the week. Plus, I can count my XaBeat sessions into that category. I like to go for walks too. And that is a great way to sneak in some destressing time. My problem is I lack the motivation to get up and do it in the evening. Depression is fierce animal, but I will beat it!!

I've been reading a little bit, trying to find a good rhythm that will suit my goals. It always comes down to which type of cardio to add to my program. Weight training is always number one. No matter what I read, that always gets the award for "best exercise" because of the multiple benefits for people seeking to achieve fat loss, metabolic increase, tight body and overall good health. It's the cardio that is always split. Some think longer steady state is best, others think HIIT is best. When it comes down to it, I think just deciding which YOU like better is the key. Because a 15-20 or even 30 minute session of higher intensity intervals will always be more appealing to me, I'm more likely to get it done. It sucks - I literally have to give myself a pep talk every time - I know I'm going to get uncomfortable - but in the end, it goes by so much quicker and I know it is torching calories and raising my metabolic rate much more so than an hour of jogging. This works for ME, because I jog slow therefore I don't burn much for calories. Now if your steady state cardio is running a 6 minute mile, your still getting a good calorie burn, even if it's "steady state". It's all relative.

I try not to be too one sided about fitness. I've branched out BIG TIME since I first fell in love with weight training. I'm going to be a XaBeat instructor next month for crying out loud! If that isn't branching out, I don't know what is! But I will say that when I was in the best shape of my life (about a year and a half ago) it was because of my dedication to weight training. I did next to nothing for cardio. And that's how I liked it. If you can get into the best shape of your life doing something you love, you shouldn't do it any other way ;)


No comments: