Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kids love to follow our example


I love inspiring my kids to exercise. Here they are doing a post workout stretch.

This is what it's really about, folks. Setting good examples for our young. Getting them interested in a healthy lifestyle early in their lives so they grow up knowing it, living it. Then, hopefully they will want to continue it for themselves into adulthood. Start good habits NOW.

It's so rewarding to hear my kids talk with adoration about "mommy's muscle" and how they are going to be "strong like mommy" and that they want to jump right into the exercises they see me doing every day. They want to show me that they can do it too. It gives me a sense of pride. Working out and staying fit is a part of our daily lives.

This summer, they've been very active kids. TV? What's that? If the tv is on, it's because they are playing the Kinect, which keeps them active. It's amazing how much you can actually sweat playing those games! Mostly they are playing with toys or swimming or doing crafts. I am guilty of giving them "computer time" most days simply because they need to have a little down time, just like us adults. 

It's been so nice here and the evenings have been perfect for jogging. I love to get outside for some extra exercise. I've been going 4 miles each day since Saturday, which is pretty good considering before that it had probably been a month (or longer) since I've ran at all, let alone steady state! My body is sore though because I am NOT used to it. I also hit the weights for the first time in a month. I've missed it so much :( But I really like the change up to body weight exercises because they can be just as challenging. I really wish I could have hung on with the shapeshifter diet, I would probably be noticing some really great changes happening by now. But on the plus side, I feel that sense of renewed motivation coming around, which is good because I'm going to need it tomorrow! (24 hour fast with Hanna) And if I can get through this fast and buckle down with low calories and no cheats the rest of the week, I should have a giant calorie deficit (especially with all this extra running) which will be great on a fat loss scale! The important thing is that I'm still strength training to maintain muscle.

See you tomorrow!


2 comments:

Carmen said...

One of the main reasons I run is so my kids, especial the girls, can see that exercising and getting out is fun not all about trying to get out to lose weight. Sydney has even asked for Insanity from Beachbody for her birthday. She did it with her aunt and uncle when they were in town and loved it. I thought it was funny she asked for it.

Charlotte said...

haha...that is funny. I've heard a few people talk about Insanity and it makes me want to check it out. Although, I've got a bazillion workout dvds already. Could always use one more right? Variety is always good!