Monday, April 30, 2012

MIA

I've been MIA for a few days (or longer) because the family and I took a long weekend trip to Nebraska for my niece's confirmation. It was a nice trip.

I did so well in trying to keep my diet as clean as possible. But there are just some instances where you can't be so obsessive about it. And I find it easier to just go with the flow in these types of situations than draw unwanted attention to myself.

This was a celebration with a lot of close friends and relatives. I was not about to refuse to eat or bring in my own food. Plus, it's not like I'm prepping for a competition or something. If I were, I would have had a proper excuse.

When you are a guest in some one's home and you are there for a special occasion, I think it a tad awkward to bring your own food instead of eat the wonderful food they have prepared for everyone. I mean, they took the effort to make delicious food. They don't care about macro nutrient mumbo jumbo. It's a celebration. So I happily ate what they so graciously had made. It was delicious!

At the hotel, I ate as smart as I could. It was one of those free breakfast bar deals where they have quite a bit to choose from. I chose eggs, toast, banana, milk and coffee while I watched everyone else eat pancakes, sausage, bacon and cinnamon rolls. I discovered this morning (our last day there) that they even had plain oatmeal! I could have eaten that instead of the toast....oh well. And I splurged today. I ate a cinnamon roll and had a burger and fries on the way home. It's a six hour drive for us so it can be a challenge to eat perfectly, although not impossible. On the way there, I did awesome. I was prepared. But today, I decided it had been such a long time since my last "cheat meal" that I would go ahead and relax a bit.

I even worked out in the tiny fitness room at the hotel one of the days. I saw they had weight lifting equipment and got so excited you would have thought I'd won the lottery! It's so funny how just the sight of it makes me giddy. It's familiar territory. It's like home.

Tomorrow I will thankfully be back to my regular routine. My gut will thank me.

I am having my first boob squishing session (mammogram) tomorrow and I'm NOT looking forward to it. But my doctor recommended I do it. I said, "But I'm not even 40 yet!" He said I probably should have had my first one at 35. "Oh...."

And guess what I found out, I might have exercise induced asthma. Is that not the craziest s#*t?! I mean, exercising is a HUGE part of my life! I was telling my doctor that I wanted allergy testing because I get this throat closing feeling now and then, usually when I get my heart rate way up during exercise. I feel stuffy and the skin of my throat feels like it sticks together. He thought I might have exercise induced asthma and prescribed an inhaler. I can't wait to see if it works. If it does, I will be relieved to find help for the problem but totally bummed out that I have the problem to begin with!

I don't know.....we'll see how it pans out once I get my inhaler. And it's not like it happens every time I work out. I think it's more panic related, since I get anxiety and I'm afraid of having more panic attacks. When I do things that gets my heart beating faster, my body responds the same way it does during a panic attack (where my heart rate also goes up) and I have that throat closing feeling. It's such a drag to have this condition. But I've finally got new medication for it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it helps. But that could take up to a month. This particular med is an anti-depressant but it is also used to treat panic disorder and (get this.....) obsessive-compulsive disorder! Haha....BINGO! Is that me or is that me?!

No comments: