Monday, April 2, 2012

Dream squashers

I just read something that really hit home for me. It was called "Beware the Dream Squasher".

The author basically described a dream squasher as someone who feels compelled to tell you why you can't or won't achieve your goals and dreams.

I have come across a few dream squashers. They live to annoy. My husband, unfortunately, seems to be one of my biggest dream squashers. He has made it clear on many occasions that he isn't into my passion for fitness/muscle/health/etc. And that's fine. We don't have to agree on everything. But what really gets to me is that he is so negative about it.

A few examples of this are when I was so proud of how my lower abs were finally starting to become visible. I mentioned it to him and his response was, "I'm not into visible abs." Fine. To each his own. Another time, I talked about muscle separation in my legs. He said, "I'm not sure that's a good thing." I don't know if he thought I meant my muscles were actually separating or just that he didn't think that being able to see muscle definition in my legs was a good thing. By the way, when I said muscle separation, I was referring to being able to see the different heads of the quadriceps.

Yeah, this coming from a self professed "leg man". You would think he would love the fact that I'm trying to improve the shape of my legs instead of letting them go to flab.

Not that I'm trying to drag my husband through the mud, he is a good man. I just wish he would show me some support. Even when I bring it up, he claims he does and it's end of conversation. So talking to him about it gets me nowhere.

He isn't the only one either. There are others (one in particular, whom I won't name) who questions EVERYTHING I am passionate about. It drives me crazy. You may not agree with everything I do, say or believe, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong and you're right. I feel literally picked on at times and I just want to say shut the hell up and leave me alone!

Anyway, getting back to this article, the author goes on to give tips on how to deal with people like this. One that sort of opened my eyes was this:

"Realize they don't understand your dreams." - well, that's an understatement in my case. It seems like I'm alone in this world when it comes to my aspirations. I know there are thousands upon thousands just like me, I just don't know any personally. I know a few fitness fanatics, but no women who want to build muscle the way I do.

Another tip was: "Be selective about who you share your dreams with." Well, in my case, I have a husband who doesn't particularly share an interest in nutrition and fitness. And when you can't share a huge passion with your partner for the rest of this life, who do you go to? Mom? She's too biased.

There is no real balance in support. On one end, I have my mother who (like any mother) thinks her child can move mountains and is beyond perfect. Then I have my husband who is ever so happy to be overly critical of every thing I do, all the time.

"Don't expect universal support". I don't. I totally understand that when it comes to the topic of women having muscle, there usually isn't a grey area. You either love it or hate it.

And my personal favorite: "Succeed." (Oh, I will!) "It will annoy the crap out of the Dream Squashers."

Sometimes I think that is part of what drives me forward. The negative feedback I get from a certain few people really makes me want to shove my success in their faces. God has put these dream squashers on this earth to motivate me and push me onward. He doesn't throw anything at me I can't handle, right?


p.s. I'm "into visible abs" and I LOVE mine :)


click to read article
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/698718

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i'm into visible abs !!!!! and yours are looking awesome charlotte!!! you know, deep down I think hubby is insecure of you becoming (in my opinion you already are) hot hot, hot!!!! other men notice and hubands tend to get jealous! does he have a passion a big as your one? that can make husbands jealous, too, if he doesn't have an interest - it can be intimidating to them. then they go the opposite way and start disliking your passion and start sabotaging it and then they feel a bit safer, a bit more in control of the relationship. I hope I dont sound nasty, i dont mean any ill feeling towards your hubby. this happened to me once before and my boyfriend was jealous and insecure deep down coz people were noticing me and he felt that he should look buffed and toned as well or I would leave him and it was very overwhelming for him. I think if I became super hot now my hubby would probably react that way - a bit of a self defense mechanism and if i reversed roles I would definitely feel the same he would be more interested in aa woman with the same body and interests as him.
anyway, propaby doesnt apply to your hubby but it was a scenaro i went through.
amanda xxx
ps looking tight there girl !!