Thursday, May 3, 2012

Protein powder - why use it

There are TONS of protein powders out there and it can be a tad overwhelming when trying to choose one that best suits your needs.

You have whey isolate, whey concentrate and casein. What are the differences?

Whey protein isolate is generally more expensive because it's higher quality. And it has a higher biological value. It wasn't until probably this year that I even knew what that meant. Biological value is basically how much of the protein is absorbed and used by the body. There is more protein and less fat per serving. They are about 95% protein.

Whey protein concentrates are cheaper. 70-80% protein. And they contain fat and lactose.

Both are quick digesting proteins, which makes them great for pre, during and post workout fuel. As opposed to casein, which is released a lot slower. And this makes it a good pre bed drink, because it will sustain your body for all those hours you go without food. You don’t want your hard-earned muscle being broken down in your sleep.

Most protein powders have a blend of isolate and concentrate. Which is what I have. I also have a casein powder that I take before bed. I'm hoping that in the future, this will help me gain and keep muscle more efficiently.

I have tried a few different brands of protein powders. One of the last ones I ordered was called OnlyProtein, which was super clean and pure and organic, made with whey from grass fed cows. Hormone and antibiotic free. That really appealed to me but I didn't think it had much flavor. There weren't many calories or carbs - depending on your goal, that could be a good or bad thing.

I guess I'm not so obsessed with everything I eat being organic or grass fed (although I know I should be). The main thing I look for is that it doesn't contain anything artificial or nasty. I was looking online for powders and one I clicked on had partially hydrogenated oil in it. Really?? You are going to sell a product to individuals who are looking to better their bodies and you're going to put that crap in it?? I was shocked. And now always read labels.

Now I'm using Prograde's protein powder. It has a great flavor. Lots of protein grams. Sweetened naturally. But I'm having trouble getting my macros just right according to the Nutrient Timing book. So I found a bag of plain, natural whey protein concentrate at the grocery store (to my surprise) and I'm thinking of mixing up my own concoction so I can get my carb to protein ratios right. The powder I am using seems to have too much protein and not enough carbs for my needs.

So, why do you need to consume protein drinks at all? Well, if you want to get the most out of your workouts you need it. A) to fuel your body properly - because if you don't have the energy to give it your all, you are missing out and B) it is quickly absorbed which is essential in that critical window after a workout where your muscles absolutely need to be fed or your are pretty much wasting your time.

Not everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but I don't know many people who wouldn't want to at least decrease their body fat percentage and have firm muscle in it's place. But you aren't going to build muscle if you don't have a positive nitrogen balance. Protein powder is an easy and convenient way to help you achieve just that.

No comments: