Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Renewed Energy

So yesterday was the first time back at the gym in two weeks. I had been working out at home during that time. My mom was sick (again), and I was in my rut so I wasn't excited about going to the gym. It's nice to have equipment at home for days when I just don't feel like going out. Yesterday I was back to my usual self though. Raring to go! It was a great feeling. I love when that renewed energy hits me after I've been in a slump.

I am starting to do split training again. So I did lower body. I didn't split up the muscle groups, however. I worked it all, glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves. Afterwards, I was doing some leg raises when suddenly this wave of nausea hit me. It was so bad I had to quit because I thought I would get sick right there on the bench! I was a little disappointed because I had so much energy that I was planning on doing a little hill walking afterwards. I ended up feeling fine once I got to my car. I think it might have been too much protein powder. It's just a guess, but I had a casein drink for breakfast with my oatmeal and then my regular pre-workout whey drink not long after. Needless to say I just couldn't stomach anymore post-workout. I had pumpkin pancakes instead.

I have to get over my issues with split training. I know it's necessary if I ever want to grow, but it just doesn't feel like I'm working hard enough. Maybe if I add more volume, it won't seem that way. I guess if I'm not panting and sweating and flying around like a maniac doing circuits with a lot of explosive movements, I don't feel like I'm "working out". But training at such a high intensity all the time isn't good. I know this. I know. It's one of those mental issues I just have to get over.

Even though I'm not a fan of cardio exclusively for a training regimen, that doesn't mean that I don't still like to do some for the benefits it provides. I don't really think that a 20 minutes session after a weight training workout is going to strip away any muscle. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you would only have to worry about that if you constantly did high intensity cardio or cardio lasting over an hour most days. I should be fine with 20 minutes 4 times a week. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually miss climbing on the elliptical after weight training. Shhh.....don't tell anyone!

Today is upper body, which always feels easier than legs. Even if my workout consists of the harder exercises: pull ups, dips, push ups, etc. there is still only so much you can do. I'm not sure I could do more than 4 sets of pull ups, for instance. So it would be a perfect day to get that 20 minute cardio in. I'll probably superset compound movements with isolation movements again. I like doing that. Maybe some pyramids. Whatever it is, I want to give it 110%.

No comments: