Saturday, September 10, 2011

Campfire Mocha is the devil

Yesterday I took my mom on a couple of errands. We ended up at the grocery store to get some groceries and to get some pictures developed of her dog. She finished her shopping faster than I did (first time ever) and went into Caribou Coffee to wait for me. She called me to let me know she had gotten a coffee for me to and I said, "Aw, mom, I really wasn't planning on getting a...

"You'll drink it!" she barked.

I said, "Well, ok, did you make it a non-fat...{YOU'LL DRINK IT!!! - she cut in}

"Ok ok!" I said, a little scared of her now.

When I met her, she greeted me with a giant cup some fancy cold coffee with a mountain of whip and marshmallows on top. Oh. My. God. Not only did she not get me my regular non-fat mocha, she got me a very large cup of fat and sugar.

"MOTHER!" I said, "What did you do?"

"What?" - she's acting all innocent here.

"I don't typically like to drink my entire day's worth of calories. I might as well go guzzle a two liter bottle of coke, this thing probably has as much sugar!" - yes, I was freaking out because she was adamant about making me drink this thing. And I was scared. Remember when I said how she's always trying to fatten me up? Case and point. This is what she does.

"You drink it." she said again.

"Why didn't you get hot coffee?" I said.

"Because it's hot outside." she said

I had two sips and said, "I'm sorry, mom, but I just can't. I know you don't understand and you are probably mad now that you bought this for me and instead of showing appreciation I am refusing to drink it. But I don't want to erase a week's worth of workouts just to drink this. I'm really sorry."

She did look disappointed but I think she was eventually happy because I had brought it home and put it in the freezer so that my husband could have it later. And he loved it. And nothing pleases my mother more than making my husband happy.

FYI - a large Campfire Mocha is 700 calories, 37g fat, 79g sugar  ....call me crazy for not wanting to drink THAT.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

oh charlotte, you poor thing. it saddens me to think so many people have the same opinion like your mum's. even if you weren't watching your cals dont people realise its just plain unhealthy? imagine if you were obese and you ordered that drink - i bet people wouldnt comment that you shouldnt have it - what im trying to say is that people are sensitive to not insult obese people and are down right rude to calorie watching slim healthy people. you are not skinny!!!!! you are gorgeously slim with hot muscle definition and healthy and dont let anyone make you think otherwise. stay true to yourself. i'll get off my soapbox now !!!!!

Charlotte said...

Amanda, did I ever tell you that I LOVE you??!! Well, I do. That comment literally made my day. You are so right, don't step on the toes of an obese person. It's not their fault they got that way, right?? But watch your waistline, stay trim, and get criticized for it. I hate that, "OH you don't have to watch calories, you are already thin enough" but what if I didn't? I would probably be overweight and unhealthy. Thank you for that wonderful comment, my dear. You are very wise!