Friday, September 23, 2011

health tip for you

Want a FUN way to burn TONS of calories?

Dance!

You heard me! Get up, crank up the music (you know, the kind that really makes you want to shake your groove thing) and go for it! No one is watching!

I have been doing this almost daily and I am AMAZED at what a great workout it is. I think I'm going to wear my heart rate monitor next time just because I am curious as to how many calories I burn in an hour. I danced with my kids for two hours tonight. TWO. HOURS! And I could have kept going and going....but it was bedtime.

I swear, this has become one of my favorite things to do lately. Sometimes, during the day when everyone is gone, I just go downstairs to crank up the music real loud and I can't help but move. It's even better in the dark because then we can turn the disco ball on, put our wigs on and really have fun!

This morning, I really punished my butt and legs. I did 50 minutes of circuit training with weights and incorporated some explosive moves with my medicine ball (think moving jump squats and jump lunges). My legs were so rubbery when I finished I could barely walk up the stairs. Between that and all the dancing I just did, I will be lucky if I can walk tomorrow!

I noticed (already) how easy it is to get into a cardio rut. I call it a rut because I get too comfortable with it. This morning, it was so gorgeous out and would have made for a really enjoyable run, but I forced myself to get down in the basement for some weight training. That's the hardest part after so long. Running is easy. Training with weights requires more focus. It requires a plan. And it's hard work! But I love the way I can FEEL when I've worked my muscles. I love imagining the tiny tears happening and the rebuild process that makes them bigger and better than before.

Although, I'm not in "build mode" yet. I'm just sort of slowly getting myself acclimated again so that I'm ready to hit it hard in November. I get excited thinking about it. And I get excited thinking of the future. I can't say for sure what it holds, but I know it will be something great!

Hope you all had a great first day of fall! I know I did!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hey great photos - you are one hot mama!!! you look awesome and you have nothing to worry about but i know where you are coming from - if you're not happy with a certain spot, a thousand people can tell you otherwise, but its how you feel, what you think. but look at it this way - you only have one tiny trouble spot to worry about - most people, including me, have about 6 trouble spots to worry about. so you can concentrate on one thing and it wont be overwhelming whereas the rest of us dont know where to start. we have more bigger balls to juggle - you have one tiny ping pong ball to worry about!!!! like that analogy!! anyway you look F-A-B and i am starting to turn from envy to jealousy xx