Monday, September 12, 2011

more mindless drivel

[typed yesterday so the info is a day behind...]

We were blessed with yet another simply GORGEOUS day outside today. I've heard the temps are about to drop this coming week so I've made it a point to get outside and enjoy it while it lasts. I am looking forward to the crisp fall air. It is such an exciting time of year, despite the colder weather warning you of the harsh winter that is yet to come. The colors on the leaves after they change make the perfect backdrop for a shutterbug like me.

And since it's been so nice out, I've been going on a lot more walks and taking some evening jogs too. I'm very surprised at how active I'm able to stay seeing as how I don't sleep worth a darn anymore. Still, I'm grateful that I haven't had a total system crash yet. Last night I got out a tad later than I wanted and by the time I was at my halfway point it was already dark. So I took the most lit streets home. It was good. I could have gone longer than I did but....eh...

[finished typing this morning...]

I've been trying to not eat past 7pm. It's one of those debatable topics. But recently I read that we should NOT eat past 7pm because it's harder for our bodies to digest the food properly....yadda yadda....fat storage....blah blah. So, I have been trying. The first 3-4 days went surprisingly well. Yesterday was just a good day in terms of diet. Had my morning workout - it was awesome. And I was going to hit the pavement last night around 7pm when the girls got back from their dad's. However, they didn't show up until almost 7:40 (grrrrr) so my plans were shot. Because we have things to do to get ready for school the next day, bags to unpack, and so on. Of course my husband is in his usual spot, in front of the computer on his 9th hour of Empire or Civilization or whatever the heck game he is playing these days {note my frustration here}, so I can't expect much help from him. Anyway, all of a sudden, I got really dizzy and sweaty and shaky so I figure, 'crap, I better eat before I pass out'. Even though it was 8pm, past my 7pm deadline, there are just times when you have to listen to your body. So I ate (rather, inhaled) some food. Then some more. Then some more. Until I ended up eat probably half a day's worth of calories. DAMN IT! I had such a great day too. I was finally starting to feel as though I must be making some headway. Instead of burning an extra 300 calories like I should have been doing around that time, I consumed probably twice that.

Oh well.

This morning, I put my running clothes on before I walked with Emma to school so that I could just take off from the school and get a fasted run in. It was lovely. According to my spiffy new HR monitor, my average HR was 155 and my max was 173. Usually, when I am on the last quarter mile or so, I push it to get my heart rate up. Hence, the 173. I have no idea if that's good for me or not. Still new to tracking my heart rate. I didn't even know it kept track of average HR until I accidentally pushed the wrong button when I got home and there it was! Cool! It also gave me a read out of my fat burn and 'fitness' - whatever that means. I'll have to look it up.

While I was running, this woman just blew past me, from out of nowhere. She had legs up to my shoulders, I swear! She looked like she was older than me (from what I could tell, but I have no way of really knowing), and so I was thoroughly impressed. She kept up her stride for a quite a while before she had to stop and walk. And then I passed her and didn't see her again. It takes me about 35 minutes to run 4 miles. I don't run for speed at all, I just run at a comfortable pace. So when she passed me I remember thinking, wow, I must run incredibly slow. That's typically why I say I'm going for a 'jog' not a run. But then again, it wasn't a pace she could keep forever, obviously. Who knows, maybe she was interval training. Maybe that's just how she rolls. I generally run the entire time. Very rarely do I stop, only at stop lights. No, I do not jog in place at stop lights. I would feel dumb. Mainly because when I see people do that, I think they look dumb. I get why they do it. But it still makes me giggle. I'm immature. I know this.

Speaking of immature, I hate getting yelled at or whistled at while I'm jogging. I'm actually surprised at how often this happens. Once, when I was jogging and Eden was with me on her bike, some guy at the stop light yelled, "nice ass" out his window. And for a split second I thought about turning around and smacking him through the window but I didn't feel like ending up in jail. Really? You're gonna yell obscene things at me with my 8 year old daughter next to me? Classy.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: