Friday, March 25, 2011

Get off your butt!

In the last post I talked about how working out too much can be counter productive. Now I'm going to rant about the other side of the spectrum...not doing anything.

You don't have to be super hard core, dedicated, 7 days a week, all out fitness freak to get benefits from exercise. Don't have an "all or nothing" attitude. If you don't have time or energy for your usual 45 minute session, do a quick 10 minute version. Pick something (whether it's running, body weight exercises, jumping rope, hill climbs, sprints, etc) and do it. Something is better than nothing. Just get moving!

What I like to do if I'm short on time or energy is pick about 6 compound movements (works more muscles for bigger calorie burn) and do them. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, chest press, clean & press, push ups, chin ups....any of those will do. I might use weight or I might just do bodyweight, it doesn't matter. Of course, I prefer to do my normal full weight routine, but I can't have an all or nothing attitude. What do you think is better - doing nothing today or doing at least 10 minutes of something?

No comments: