Thursday, March 10, 2011

I don't feel inadequate

I'm always making small tweaks to my workouts. I can't help it. I have been getting a bit more creative with my workouts lately. Always trying to work the muscle with slight differences to keep my body guessing. The other day, I hooked a band around my pullup bar and did some lat pulldowns and tricep pulldowns. I'm used to the barbell and dumbbells, so the band gave me a new sort of resistance.

There are times I wish I had a fancier home gym, more equipment, etc. But you can build a great body with very basic equipment. It doesn't need to be fancy OR expensive. It's a bit like photography, you could have the most expensive camera and a dozen high end lenses, but if you lack creativeness and general know-how, you won't take great pictures. Maybe not even good pictures.

Building a great physique doesn't just happen because you forked over big $$$ on that shiny new equipment. What matters is the time you put in, the hard work, the sweat, the dedication. I go down to my dark basement (out dated colors and all) and I work my ass off on a fairly cheap weight bench. And I get results. Of course, I could really use a squat rack ;)

Have you ever heard that saying about how a guy with a big fancy vehicle is overcompensating for feelings of inadequacy in other areas? Just sayin...

And let's not forget to mention the most important element....diet. No, I don't mean being "on a diet", I mean, what you are eating. Don't be like me and waste TONS of time thinking that you can get what you want out of your workouts if you aren't eating to back it up! You have to pay attention to what you are stuffing in your cake hole. I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and not see any significant changes on the scale. But I certainly wouldn't notice any changes for the better either. And I just wouldn't be happy to settle for the average soft and squishy mom body. I want better.

Eating hot dogs and sugary cereals with the kids? If you are, ask yourself: Is my body changing sufficiently enough through exercise alone? Am I happy with that jiggle that just doesn't seem to want to come off? Do I want to look like every other average person on the beach? Or....

Do I want to turn heads, rock my bikini, look like I work damn hard because I do?

HELL. YEAH.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hear hear! i agree totally with your closing statement !!!!!