Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Good bye party girl, hello fit girl!

I have always been a little bit of a party girl. This is ultimately the reason my body got into such horrible shape to begin with. I've always been at a healthy weight, even skinny, but never really "healthy".

I drank a lot in my 20's. I stayed out late, made terrible food choices, and as a result - gained FAT! I liked to drink. It brought me out of my shell. I'm not a very outgoing person, always the quiet shy one in the back. But when I had a good buzz going, I could mingle with anyone, go out dancing....I was fun! This was the main reason I drank for so many years. It just helped me get through social situations.

Quitting drinking was a looooong and slow process, which I have my husband to thank for. He isn't a big drinker. It was his general lack of interest in going to the bar and partying every weekend that saved me. It was like an addiction for me. I really longed to go out, I liked the bar atmosphere. But the more I stayed home, the less I drank. Until finally (years later) it was a glass or two of wine when we went out for dinner once or twice a month.

Now? I hardly drink at all. And since my decision to eat clean and train like all I have is today, I have tried HARD to get to zero. Although I did have a glass of wine with dinner last week. But what I'm most proud of is last night.

My niece turned 21, which is something I had really been excited for. She is a really fun outgoing girl and I was excited at the prospect of having someone to go out and dance with. But now, my priorities have totally shifted. I went to the bar last night, stayed until 1am, and drank water with lemon all night! I have never done this. Ever. I've never had the will. I must have had 10 tall glasses of water and peed like the dickens.

My plan was to drink absolutely nothing, but I did have 2 shots of tequila, which set me back about 100 calories each, but I don't consider it a failure. I was very VERY proud considering what I used to be. Which might have been an alcoholic.

And I can say with absolute certainty that the next time I head to a bar with family or friends, I will be able to resist ALL alcohol. Even when faced with pressure and maybe even a little criticism. But the whole time, I will have my goal in the front of my mind. Even if no one else understands why it is so important to me. Even if they think I'm an old stump or no fun. Eventually, they will be used to the fact that I don't want to drink anymore and I won't have to explain AGAIN. ;)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hi charlotte, yes i used to be a heavy drinker before and after kids (i think 3 kids under 4 did the latter!!) but unfortunately my husband is a drinker (every day) so i get no support from him. i was at the stage before xmas of being a social drinker then xmas came along, 6 weeks school hols (we go away with friends - very social - ie drinkies!. now that i'm training again i stay off the alcohol. But gee, i love a good glass (more like bottle) of champers and chatting with friends!!!!! i can even give up the cheese platters. i guess i'll have to keep the champers for my cheat meals!! love your blog :)
cheers, Amanda