Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Measurements time

Ok, well I forgot to take measurements yesterday so I did it today. Not bad, I have definitely gotten leaner compared to a month ago.

Last month:
weight 114.6
thigh 19 1/2
waist 24

Today:
weight 111.8
thigh 19
waist 24

So you see that I lost half an inch where I needed it! My waist measurement never changes anymore but I'm cool with that since there really isn't anything to lose there anyway. As I've said before I'm very happy with my upper body. I could stand more definition up there, but I'm definitely not afraid to show it off ;) As far as my weight goes, I don't obsess about it. I actually wouldn't mind gaining 10 pounds more (as long as it's all muscle). I only use it as a number in an equation so that I can track my lean body mass. If I find I am losing LBM, I need to tweak my fitness/diet routine. It's measurements that I'm interested in.

Also, I haven't been sharing my workouts in a while so it's time I do that as well. Here's my basic routine as of late:

MONDAYs: *legs
squats 110lbs
deadlifts 90lbs
ham curls 40lbs
lots of leg lifts w/ankle weights
walking lunges - I try to hit 100, doesn't happen every time;)
ABS

TUESDAYs: intervals
30 minutes on the treadmill, first & last 5 minutes warm up and cool down. Alternate 1 minute high intensity (speed depends on mood/energy level - somewhere around 8mph), followed by 1 minute recovery (4mph). Do this for 20 minutes. Time just FLIES when I do this workout, I love it!
leg lifts, walking lunges, ABS

WEDNESDAYs: arms #1
chin ups
chest press 70lbs
bent over lat raise 10lb dumbbells
bicep curls 20lb dumbbells
tricep band pulldowns or dips
leg lifts, walking lunges, ABS

THURSDAYs: intervals
same
leg lifts, walking lunges, ABS

FRIDAYs: intervals
same
leg lifts, walking lunges, ABS

SATURDAYs: arms #2
push ups
flyes 20lb dumbbells
barbell row 50lbs
barbell shoulder press 40lbs
side lat raise 10lb dumbbells
barbell bicep curl 35lbs
close grip press 50lbs
leg lifts, walking lunges, ABS - only if I skip a day M-F

SUNDAYs: rest
or intervals if I've skipped or just have too much energy to sit still! ;)

I also try to incorporate a brisk walk as many evenings as I can, usually 30-45 minutes.

And there you have it! Not set in stone, sometimes things get moved over a day or I am too exhausted after a workout to get in leg lifts. Then I say I will do them in the evening - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But if I get in at least 4 of the leg lifts/lunges per week I'm happy. And I don't skip the weighted workouts, there are only 3 per week so I really have no excuse (or desire) to skip them. Abs have generally gotten pretty routine at 5 days a week. I like to do them in between sets on weight days and then all clumped together on interval days.

I'm pretty happy with this method I have going. It will be hard to want to change it when the time comes. And hopefully it will produce the results I'm hoping for in two month's time.

*on a side note: I switched from doing legs twice per week to only once per week based on a fitness e-letter I receive. This particular person (who wrote a book on how to build legs) suggested that the reason some people don't achieve muscle growth is that they are punishing their legs twice per week. I thought I would give that theory a try and only work them hard only once each week.

The legs lifts are based on another theory that to actually decrease the fat in the legs, they need high repetitions of body weight or light weight. And, it needs to be done most days per week.

I'm not sold on one method or the other but I want to try both and see where it gets me. Is it smart to try both together? I don't know, but that is what I am trying out first.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

hi charlotte, you sound as though you're on track and making progress - good for you.out of curiosity - how tall are you? im looking at your waist measurement and it looks pretty good!! also how many kids have you had and how old are you? sorry to sound so nosey but i'm just kinda comparing you to me (i know you shouldnt compare!) - just to get it into perspective !!! (i am 5"11' ive got 3 kids - 13, 12 and 9 and i'm 47 yo and currently weigh 140 lbs) and desperate to loose my skinny fat bum and hips and build more muscle) on my upper. thanks :)

Charlotte said...

Hi Amanda! We sound very similar in our goals, I am also trying to lose the skinny fat lower body while building sexy muscle. NOT an easy (or quick) task by any means! I am 36 years old, 3 kids ages 13, 8 & 4. I am 5'6". Wow, you are tall! And gorgeous, looking at your profile pic! Pretty dang hot for 47 (or any age for that matter)!