Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Have you ever had anyone ask you why you are doing this to yourself (in reference to clean eating and lifting weights)?

I have. My mother usually asks me that once a week. And she's even said something to this effect, "You are going to get yourself sick." How absurd! Sorry mom, but how is eliminating processed JUNK from my diet and exercising going to make me sick??? Some people say that people with negative comments like that are just projecting. I'm no psychologist, but it could be. She's not an avid exerciser herself. She's in her 70's and has lots of chronic pain. I'm always trying to tell her that it's never too late and that she might actually get rid of some of that pain if she just pushed through it a little. I know the initial "getting started" is the biggest leap, but if she would just trust me. If she could just want it as much as I want it for her. I'm afraid of losing her.

I like to think that I'm a source of motivation for those that I love, but most of the time I think I'm more annoying than anything. I honestly don't mean to be, but when you are passionate about something, you can't help but spread that passion around! You might think it's hard. It is. You might think that it's a lot of effort. It is. You might think that you can't do it. You are wrong. If I can change my habits and break my addiction to sugar and greasy food, you can too. Are you tired of hearing that? "If I can do it, anyone can" .... Well, deal with it! It's absolutely the truth. There is no difference between the people that DO and the people that DON'T. Except for this: the people that DO, don't use excuses.

I'm too busy.
I have no time.
I'm too tired.
I want to spend time with my kids.
I want to go out and drink with my buddies.
I can't afford it.
I'm too old.
I want to enjoy life, not have so many restrictions.
I'll start after Christmas, graduation, Easter, family reunion, the wedding, ________(fill in the blank).

These are ALL excuses.

Reality check - How bad do you want a fit and healthy body? How long do you want to be around for your children? How important is it for you to feel good about yourself?

Not everyone cares about proper diet and exercise. Not everyone wants to look like a figure competitor. And hey, that's cool. But most people would probably like to be at a healthy weight, whether they admit it or not. And chances are, if you are reading this blog right now, you are somewhat interested in being healthy and achieving some fitness goal. And so I will say this...practice! The more you think about it, the more you try to eliminate unhealthy food from your diet, little by little, it will happen. It certainly didn't happen right away for me. It took me YEARS to get all my ducks in a row. Just don't ever lose that passion. Don't give up that drive to succeed. Keep at it. Don't beat yourself up over small set backs. Push forward. If you are anything like me, you will have your "light bulb" moment when it all sinks in and you realize what you have to do. And you will be able to say "no thank you" to the chocolate cake and HELLO to the fabulous body that awaits you!

No comments: