Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 1 - it's on

I realize that too often I drone on and on about random things that don't particularly matter to anyone on this blog. But I've already explained that it's my only outlet, and the need for it is great. My husband would rather jam toothpicks underneath his fingernails than listen to me talk about the stuff I talk about on this blog.

But, I am going to try to make my posts more "journal entry" like from now on. Because I'm actually starting something that I can title DAY ONE - today. There might be a need to enter two posts a day so I can log my diet at the end of the day and how my workout went. Or I might just wait until evening to post so I don't end up with two.

If you've read previous posts, you'll know that I've already been prepping myself so it's not such a shock today. I've been eating totally clean for the past 4 days or so. It's been incredibly easy. I haven't been craving anything bad. It's true what they say, if you feed your body the nutrients it craves, you won't crave junk. I haven't been doing any exercise, because I know it's good to give your body a break once every so often, especially before starting something new. And I've been eating. Oh have I been eating! You know what, it's actually hard to get in the required calories when you are eating to build muscle. Sure, it would be easy if you ate calorie dense food like cheeseburgers and french fries. But clean healthy food is typically not loaded with calories. Healthy fats are, but you can only eat those sparingly.

So for breakfasts, I've been eating oatmeal with berries and 5 egg whites. I feel almost sick afterwards because it's so much food. I think I would be better off eating such a big meal in the afternoon, say 3pm, than first thing in the morning. Because that is when I usually start getting hungrier and my mood falls slightly. Although that could have something to do with my children arriving home from school ;)

Anyway, on the agenda today is chest/triceps. This is strange to me since I used to ALWAYS start off the week with legs. It's a nice change.

For breakfast I had steal cut oats, strawberries and protein powder. I didn't think I could stomach 5 egg whites again today so the protein powder really helped. Although, I will be drinking it again post workout and probably eating home made protein bars for snack this afternoon and I typically don't like to eat powder more than once or twice a day. BUT, I found this stuff called RAW protein and it sounds amazing! (more on that in tomorrow's post) I am going to GNC to pick some up today because I ran out of my mulit vitamin and I'm not ordering from Prograde anymore. The GNC women's multi has greater amounts of what I need, is probably cheaper and I bet I won't have to swallow 3 a day! Also, I will supplement with calcium, chromium, glutamine, BCAA's, EFA's, vitamin C, and the rest of my usual supplements. Taking supps 5 times a day is normal now. I fill all 5 cups in the morning so I can just grab the stack I need when I need to take it.

I am also going to try some digestive enzymes to see if that will help my chronic (eh hem) gas problem. As embarrassing as it is to admit that, it's become more than a nuisance. It's so bad that there is not a single day that goes by where I don't have uncomfortable gas and I'm wondering if the protein is to blame. I know as we age, we don't digest our foods as easily as we could when we were younger and one of the side effects to that is gas. I used to think it was because of all the whole grain and fiber I eat but you would think my body would be used to that by now. It's literally been years since I made the conscious decision to eat more fiber. Anyway, I'm going to try a broad ph range type of digestive enzyme. And hopefully I can find one that helps with fats, proteins and carbs since I'm not entirely sure which is the culprit. Some enzymes work more specifically with one macro, like carbs, while another might help with protein. We'll see what I can find.

Here's to the start of a GORGEOUS week! We are having 70 and 80 degree weather here this week and for October, that is such a treat!

And here's to our future success. Let's end the year with a bang!

No comments: