Sunday, October 9, 2011

I feel like an alien

Today, it seems like 90% of the facebook posts are about football and hot wings. I feel like an alien. While most of my facebook friends are sitting around enjoying the game and eating chips and wings, I am sitting here with my RAWprotein shake (after eating egg whites and pumpkin pancakes) to make sure I'm getting my protein in.

To be honest, I LOVE eating chips and hot wings. The only drawback is that the feeling I get while eating them doesn't last. It's very short lived (because I eat fast) and usually followed by intense guilt and shame. Not really worth it in the end when you put it in that perspective. If you can eat it and not care, no guilt, no worries, then more power to you. Chow down! I just don't operate that way. I wish I did. But I know when all is said and done, I am healthier and happier without the chips & wings.

When weighing my choices about clean eating, I came to this conclusion:

Eating whatever I want without a care in the world



Pros                                                                                                                                         
bliss for anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes, depending on what I'm eating
Cons
unhappiness, guilt & shame every minute after

To me, it's a no-brainer. Do I want to be happy about something that will ultimately make me more miserable than I ever could have been just not doing it???? No. No I don't.

Luckily, my husband isn't a big football fan. They didn't grow up on football in Sweden like we did here in the US. Well, they did, but their "football" is soccer. Still, we never watch it. So I never have to worry about parties that include lots of men, beer and unhealthy snacks everywhere. That helps. Because even though my will is strong, it's just best to keep temptation at bay.

Unrelated note: shout out to Runnergirl on her super awesome time in the half marathon yesterday! I think she said 1 hour 41 minutes. You are an amazing athlete.

No comments: