Friday, October 7, 2011

The week's menu

I haven't been posting my food log at all this week so I will do that now.

Breakfasts
Breakfast was one meal that didn't vary all that much this week. Here's what I did -
I made up a big pot of steel cut oats and kept them in the fridge. Every day for breakfast I would just scoop out what I need and nuke it. So..

option 1.... 1/2 cup steel cut oats with *berries & stevia and 5 egg whites
option 2.....1/2 cup steel cut oats with  RAWprotein mixed in unsweetened almond milk
option 3.....1 slice Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, egg scramble with 1 whole egg and 4 whites, V8 low sodium, **1 protein bar
*Microwave some frozen mixed berries to put in oats
**Please refer to this link for all mention of protein bars in this post

AM Snack
Another meal that stays pretty consistent. This is after my workout so I drink my protein shake. And this is what I've been using:
*FitSmart shake with unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 frozen banana
*20g protein and 10g fiber!

Lunch
option 1: Jamie's turkey muffins (2), small yam, spinach
option 2: 5 egg white scramble with spinach & turkey sausage on a low carb (la torilla factory) tortilla, 1 protein bar
option 3: boiled chicken tenderloins (5 oz.), steamed broccoli, whole grain brown rice
option 4: (leftovers) lean ground beef mixed, bell pepper trio chopped fine, whole grain brown rice, tomato sauce -all mixed together in kind of a one bowl meal
option 5: (leftovers)100% whole wheat pasta with homemade spaghetti meat sauce (lean ground beef, crushed tomatoes, garlic and spices)
option 6: (leftovers) grilled flank steak (my favorite), spinach sauteed in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt, whole grain brown rice


PM Snack
Been so addicted to Jamie's home made protein bars that I've made 4 pans already! Of course I share them too, so I'm not eating THAT much ;) So..
option 1: 4 protein bars, *apple
option 2: 2 of Jamie's turkey muffins
option 3: 2 protein bars, cottage cheese
* I will have a small apple around 3pm if I need it, and I usually do, no matter which snack I choose

Dinner
option 1: grilled chicken breast, small yam, salad with spinach, romaine, broccoli, tomatoes
option 2: 100% whole wheat pasta with homemade spaghetti meat sauce (lean ground beef, crushed tomatoes, garlic and spices)
option 3: grilled flank steak (my favorite), steamed cauliflower, small yam, spinach salad
option 4: white fish in foil, asparagus, whole grain brown rice
option 5: lean ground beef mixed, bell pepper trio chopped fine, whole grain brown rice, tomato sauce -all mixed together in kind of a one bowl meal

Late snack
If I feel the need to eat, I will have either cottage cheese or two protein bars

What I've noticed from writing this menu down is that I eat probably more beef than I should. Even though it's extra lean meat, it's still red meat and I guess I would probably like to cut down. I would substitute ground turkey more often if I knew my husband wouldn't gripe about it.

Goal for next week: try to eliminate some of the red meat, swap in more turkey and chicken. I also like to try and eat salmon at least once a week. Didn't do that this week so will make sure to get that in next week.

I know this food list isn't ultra exciting. I need to find more healthy recipes so my dinner plate doesn't just consist of meat, rice, salad night after night. While it's easy to prepare, it's not that exciting. I am going to try to come up with some exciting recipes for future use.

No comments: