Tuesday, February 14, 2012

BE MINE

Yesterday I was almost vegan. Almost. It was so close. I had a completely vegan day until after dinner (which was a hearty vegetable soup). I told you yesterday about how my Swedish husband HAS to have semlor (Fat Tuesday buns) every year at this time. It's practically a law.


And if you knew how delish these things are.....
I mean, it's not just some cream in a bun.
First of all the buns themselves are a sweet heavenly concoction bursting with beautiful cardamom.
And the cream inside is whipping cream with shredded almond paste and small chunks of the buns (after hollowing them out to make room for the cream).
I mean, you just don't know how good they are until you taste them.
Amazing.

And having them in the house is like having Nutella. DANGEROUS!

Needless to say, I had to have one after dinner. I HAD to. They are almost gone though. It makes me sad and glad at the same time.

I'm pretty certain that I will never be able to commit to a diet that is 100% purely vegan.
But I'm having fun trying to come up with different entrees and finding recipes for things like "cheese sauce" that actually contains no cheese.

I found out that nutritional yeast, which is one component of a cheese-type sauce, tastes a bit cheesy. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I might do home made pizza tonight and so I'll have to try it out on my pizza. While everyone else gets the real stuff.

I bought the easiest pizza crust known to man for the others: the refrigerated Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough. You just unroll it and BAM! While for myself I choose a gluten-free pre-made frozen crust. Simply because there was no nasty ingredients. I looked at the ingredients of the Pillsbury crust and now I feel terrible about buying it for my family. It has partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil in it. UGH! I should have known better.

Next time, I won't be so lazy and we will go all out home made. Like last year, we made home made pizza - heart shaped, no less!



HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!

No comments: