Monday, February 13, 2012

Feeling fine

So after blowing off some steam, I feel better.

I went out for "one or two" bloody marys with my sister and her pal, Millie at 11am on Saturday. I returned at 9pm. Yeah. It was completely spontaneous and I was totally selfish and it felt great!

I didn't get drunk because I drank a lot of water during that time. I mean in those 10 hours I had a total of 4 drinks. But I also had a greasy delicious cheeseburger and fries at the bar. I was really hungry and there was nothing healthy on the menu (of course) and it sounded good. Plus, I was pretty good with my diet all week so why not.

My husband was pleasantly surprised when I returned home at 9pm sober and he wasn't mad at my being gone all day. He's a good guy.

The next day, Andreas made the most delicious dinner and I ate it without a care about calories or fat or carbs or meat or anything. I just ate and it was great. He also made fat Tuesday buns or semlor (in Swedish) and they were also great.



Today, I'm back to juicing and life as usual except the kids have the day off from school and my littlest is battling a bad cold. I think she is feeling a bit better so I might head off to the store for some more veggies and various other things. I didn't get to the gym this morning as planned because she was sick but I can either do my workout at home or go after dinner when Andreas is home.

I still feel very passionately about the possibility of trying to go vegan. I find myself gravitating towards it, whether I'm trying or not. For instance, last week I made a chickpea & vegetable curry with rice and fish on the side. I didn't eat the fish. I am not eating cheese. I haven't had any eggs. I haven't had any milk (but I never drink milk anyway, only almond milk in my oatmeal). I have eaten meat because I am still a little afraid of what Andreas is going to say/think if I stop eating meat. The only time he will probably notice is on weekends.

This week I've planned the menu around it so it will be easy to skirt by without meat. I'm making vegetable soup tonight, roasted winter veggies with chicken tomorrow (I won't have to eat the chicken), home made pizza for the next night (I've got a recipe for "cheesy" sauce for my pizza that is completely vegan) and then buckwheat pancakes for Thursday.

If I do decide to do this, it isn't going to be a cold turkey thing. I'm sure I will be able to handle it most of the time but for me, getting my family used to it might be difficult. My 9 year old has been slowly, over the past year, trying to convince us all that she is a vegetarian and rarely eats meat (only if we practically force her), so she will certainly be happy if I am on board with her. She will not be vegan, however, because she loves cheese and milk and eggs too much. I too love eggs and already I feel sad. But I do want to try. Just try. And I'm not going to explain why. I think I may have explained my reasons enough in the last post.

People might think I'm extreme. People might think a lot of negative things. I'm sure there will be whispers and maybe I'll get a lot of crap at family gatherings. Or, maybe I'll just take a vegan vacation in those instances. I think that even if I were to enjoy a vegan lifestyle 95% of the time, I would get the health benefit. Since my reasons are more for health than changing the way of the world, that leaves it pretty much open to do it however I want to do it.

And maybe I try it and decide that I just miss eating chicken too much. Or whatever. I'm just winging it these days.

No comments: