Friday, March 30, 2012

How do you train?

I've been thinking ahead to how I want to train after I hit my goal. Because that's what I do. It's part of my problem, I need to focus on just being. Still, it's good to at least have an idea of what I will do. I'm thinking I'll probably go back to heavy lifting. I definitely want to keep most of my movements compound but I do want to throw in some extra isolation moves.

How do you train right now? Do you use mostly compound movements, isolation movements or both? Do you utilize supersets? Drop sets? Do you do circuit style? Split training days or full body training? One of the BEST things about weight lifting (as my 1st choice of exercise) is that there are literally thousands of ways to do it. There are so many factors involved, so many variables you can change, it's impossible to get bored. And if you like to get your heart rate up and sweat, you don't just have to do cardio! Here's an interesting fact for you, I sweat more during a lifting session than I do during a cardio session (unless I'm doing HIIT). I work hard!

Terminology:
A drop set is a reduction of weight between sets with no rest. Example: doing a set of shoulder presses with 30lb dumbbells, then right away down to 25lb dumbbells, then right away down to 20lbs dumbbells. This will toast the muscle. Good luck raising your arms over your head to wash your hair that day!
A superset is two exercises performed back to back with no rest in between.
A circuit is when you perform a serious of exercises in rotation. Usually at a faster pace with no rest period until the circuit is completed.
A compound movement is an exercise that recruits multiple muscle groups.
An isolation movement uses just one joint or muscle group.
Split training is a method that divides training the whole body over a number of days.
Full body training trains the whole body in one workout.

I personally like full body workouts, 3 times per week. I've done 4 or 5 day splits in the past, but I never feel like I'm getting enough of a workout, especially on arm days. That's just a mental block, I suppose. I'm the type of person that feels like if I don't sweat and pant and pray for death, I'm not working hard enough. This is not always the case. Some days I don't feel like working that hard. But most of the time, that is my mantra.

There are upsides and downsides to both types of training (full body vs split). How you train [should]  directly reflect what you are working towards. In other words, you might train differently to build muscle than you would to lose fat. Or you might not. It depends on what you respond better to.

No matter if you are doing full body days or split days, you should always incorporate compound movements. Stimulate growth using as much muscle as possible. They also tend to get your heart rate up and make you sweaty ;)

But I've read that you don't necessarily have to lift heavy to failure for muscle growth. Studies show that lactic acid burn triggers growth hormone to be released. In other words, if you are doing high reps of leg extensions, you are going to feel an incredible burn from lactic acid, which will trigger this growth hormone, and eventually make your quads more defined (in theory). And you can't do high reps with heavy weight. Or you shouldn't, because you'll burn out quickly.

You can still achieve a lactic acid burn with heavier weights though. Doing drop sets and supersets will give you that burn.

Supersetting a compound movement with an isolation movement is probably a good way to utilize both training techniques. Especially if on the last set of the isolation movement you crank out as many reps as possible. You'll get a good burn, a good pump AND you'll be working you're whole body.

Superset a supinated bent over row with bicep curls or a deadlift with hamstring curls, for instance. You could easily produce a good full body routine that way. I think I just figured out my 'after goal' routine ;)

Here are some good compound movements:
1) Bench Press
2) Squat
3) Deadlift
4) Clean & Press
5) Military Press
6) Bent Over Row
7) Dips
8) Pull ups
9) Push ups



No comments: