Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How the first week went

Right now, I am not feeling especially great about myself. The week started out great. All week long, actually, was pretty darn good....until the weekend. I always always always blow it on the weekend.

I was right on track, doing what I needed to do, but my willpower wanes on weekends. I held strong until Saturday night. Saturday afternoon, when my husband grilled brats, I had tuna and broccoli. I was so proud of my healthy choices despite smelling those delicious grilled brats. Saturday night, I had planned on grilling flank steak to have with my spinach and quinoa cakes (recipe in the new Food & Wine mag). BUT......

My husband fell asleep on the couch until after 5pm, and then we decided to go out for dinner. I decided it would be ok to treat myself to a splurge meal since I ate near perfectly all week long. I went for the lobster ravioli. But I also had two buns dipped in olive oil prior to the meal and a glass of white wine with the meal. So it ended up being a big splurge.

Oh, but I didn't stop there...

Sunday, again, I held strong with my diet all day, until dinner. I ate TWO quinoa cakes and lots of flank steak, so it was a nutritious yet high calorie dinner. And I didn't need another high calorie meal after what I had the night before. Then, I ate 6 pieces from my organic dark chocolate bar. I keep one of these around so I can have one square when I feel like I just NEED something. It's only an extra 38 calories and usually does the job keeping my sweet cravings at bay. But eating 6 squares was not a good thing. Then, I had a few crackers and a wedge of cheese. Processed junk! GRRRRR!!!!!

Looking at my totals for the week, I am nowhere near where I'd hoped to be with regards to a calorie deficit. I had a deficit, just not nearly as big as I'd planned for. It never gets easier. No matter how motivated, determined, and persistent I am. It's always a struggle.

I am trying to look on the bright side though. If I hadn't paid so much attention to my diet all week, it would have looked a lot worse. I tried really really hard and that is what counts. Now, I am at the start of week two and get an opportunity to do better.

I remembered to take my weight and measurements though. I had a 3lb weight loss on the scale and my hips were 1/2 an inch smaller. So things were looking good, although I don't know if I can count it as fat loss or water loss. I'll have a better idea at the end of this second week. At least it's going in the right direction.

No comments: