Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pure Protein

I got my protein powder in the mail already! I ordered it two days ago!



I have only tried the Meal Replacement so far. I'm not sure that the flavor is a favorite. It's very different. The aftertaste reminds me of halva. And if you don't know what halva is, you've come to the wrong place to find out. I have NO idea how to describe it properly. It looks like a hunk of cheese, swirled like a marble cake. Has sort of a grainy texture. Is very dense. Sweet, but not not really. It's just a very odd dessert. If your curious, you can get it in the grocery store. Ours is on the same shelf as the Cheese Whiz. (Ew. Don't even get me started on how nasty that $&!t is!)

Or maybe the aftertaste is like tahini (sesame paste). Which is probably why halva came to mind. Some halva has tahini in it. I used tahini to make vegan cheese once. Once. (Johnny Dangerously fans? Anyone?) Also hummus. Hummus is amazing.

Anyway, I feel it's going to be an acquired taste.

I may order from Prograde next, just to compare flavors. But it might have a similar taste being both are flavored with Stevia, and that can have a bitter or odd sort of aftertaste. It's definitely something I'm used to though because I've substituted stevia for sugar in many things for many years now. I started back when practically nobody knew what stevia was. I couldn't buy it in stores so I had to order it online. Now, it has really caught on, which was a wish of mine back in those days. I used to always complain, "why don't companies start replacing harmful synthetic sugar substitutes with natural stevia in their products???" - just ask my husband, haha. These days, stevia is pretty available.

So that's the skinny on OnlyProtein. I can let you know what I think about it after I've been drinking it regularly.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

hey gorgeous! i bought a new protein powder the other day - Max's Muscle Up (Australian) and whilst the choc flavour is REALLY nice its too sweet! I gotta finish it though. Whats your take on BCAAs? Also dosage?
BTW - lookin' good !

Charlotte said...

The powder I use has 4g BCAAs per serving. On weight training days, in addition to the protein powder, I take Amino 1000 (post workout). But I don't know how much is ideal. It's something I've been wanting to read more about. I have a feeling that the recommended dosage will vary, depending on the source. How've you been??