Tuesday, July 17, 2012

To cure my boredom with eating plain (unflavored) Greek yogurt every day, I've discovered a new way to eat it.

If you've ever eaten Greek yogurt, you know that it is on the sour side. Especially if you get it plain, which is how I eat it. WAY less sugar that way. Only 9 grams. Compare that to your ordinary flavored yogurt which can have somewhere between 20 and 30 grams, maybe even higher. But I think it tastes horrible so I have to add things to it to make it more palatable.

I used to add cocoa powder and truvia. It tastes almost like a mousse or pudding. But I got sick of that. Now, I add cinnamon and truvia. It. Is. Awesome.

Here's what I usually do: I take a handful of raw almonds and put them in a ziploc baggie. Then I pound them with a meat tenderizer until they are broken into small pieces. I put them in a bowl with some non fat plain Greek yogurt, truvia, cinnamon and berries. It is so delicious!! It's been my go-to snack. Nutritious, filling, tasty. Win, win, and win.

Try it!

Over the next 3 days, I will be traveling with my husband. While it will be great to get away, I worry a little about how well I will stick to my clean diet. There will be plenty of temptation. But I am comforted to know that I am smart enough to make healthier choices when we dine out. I've got portable healthy snacks ready. And if there is something I really want, like wine or a small dessert, I'm not going to stress about it.

I'm really dedicated right now though. Tonight I made my 3 minutes chocolate cake with orange chocolate ganache for Andreas and his mom and I didn't even have a taste. Also, I cooked broiled Parmesan tilapia (love) with asparagus, and I didn't even try the sauce I made because it had cream and butter in it! How's that for willpower?! I warned them before hand that I didn't try the sauce so I wasn't sure it would be good. I never make sauce from a recipe....I'm that good at sauces ;) Butter, fresh squeezed lemon juice, white wine and cream. Mmmmm....sounds good right? They said it was great. Had to be the butter. Needless to say, I took my asparagus sans sauce.
So it's still going incredibly well. I've really got a good feeling about this! The more days I have behind me, the more it is becoming habit once again. And I'm so glad I've got some momentum again.

No comments: