Thursday, July 5, 2012

Wonderful healthier cheesecake recipe

How was your 4th? Our was uneventful, to say the least. We did nothing. We stayed home - no family, no lake, no picnic....nada. We had another "chopped" competition and we each critiqued the other's meal. I wouldn't say it was our best. Oh, and we made cheesecake. A healthier version of cheesecake - only 195 calories per slice. It turned out amazing. I found it in my collection of recipes. I have no idea where I got it, I had typed it up and printed it but neglected to note where I took it from. So I cannot give proper credit to the source, but I will post the recipe for you to try. My husband thought that the ricotta cheese was a little too much but he still liked it. I don't think ricotta has much of a taste in the first place so it didn't bother me at all. Really worth trying if you love cheesecake but hate all the sinful fatty calories.

Ingredients:

5 graham crackers ( although I TRIPLED this because it was too gooey and didn't cover the pan otherwise )
1 tbsp sugar (or stevia)
1 egg white
16 oz non/low fat cream cheese
16 oz light ricotta cheese
4 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar (or stevia)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

  • To make crust, put crackers in a plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs (I used my magic bullet). Add the sugar to crumbs and mix well. Add the 1 egg white and blend until moist.
  • Coat a 9 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray and press the mixture over the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
  • To make filling, blend the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, the 4 egg whites, sugar, flour and vanilla in an electric mixer until smooth. Spread filling evenly over crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Turn oven off, and allow cake to cool in the oven with the door open for 25 minutes.
  • Place cake in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours
Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10 cheesecake) - nice big piece, eh!
Calories: 195 - oh yeah!
Fat: 0.5g
Protein: 15g
Carbs: 33g
Fiber: 0.5g
Sodium: 345mg

Not too shabby for a delicious dessert! The perfect light summer treat!

No comments: