Thursday, August 18, 2011

CALORIES!!!

So I took G-ma and my girls out for dinner tonight. We went to Perkins. I haven't had an omelet in a while, so I ate a ham & cheese omelet, hashbrowns and 2 pancakes. I knew that eating the hashbrowns and pancakes was a splurge. But I had NO idea how much this meal would set me back in calories.

I have been tracking my calories daily on Livestrong.com. This meal that I ate exceeded my total calorie limit for the day. IN ONE MEAL!! My goal is about 1266 a day. My meal was 1242 calories plus more for syrup, although I didn't use much, it was still a lot of extra calories. And now I feel sick. Not because of how much I ate, but because the calorie content was so high.....and I had NO idea. Now that I am tracking daily, it's been a real eye opener. We are eating tons of calories and don't even realize it.

We don't eat out a lot, but when we do, we are probably clueless as to how much we are really consuming. I love to eat at Perkins but I can honestly say that I NEVER want to eat there again knowing what I know now. I was curious and looked at other menu items. It's mind boggling. I'll be cooking at home from now on, thanks.

No wonder my progress was stalled in the past. Things like that add up and erase all the hard work and effort I put into exercise. NO MORE! Tracking calories online will probably be key to my success from now on. I don't want to be blissfully unaware of how many calories I am eating every day anymore! It's good to know and take the necessary actions to control it.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

hi charlotte - dont let it spoil your cheat meal now that you've had it but i agree totally. sometimes its not worth going out for dinner coz the calories are so ridiculous. its the same at home - a lick of a spoon to taste some cooking, a bite of the kids leftover biscuits etc etc really do add up over a day - its just not worth it is it?? !!!! whats your exercise plan like at the moment? what are you doing?

Charlotte said...

honestly all I have been doing lately is running in the evenings, with a few extras here and there (a video in the morning for instance). Been so busy with the garage sale and stuff. excuses excuses ;)