Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sometimes I just let my thoughts wander

Got up at 7:00 today. I didn't have morning fasted cardio scheduled (yay) and for once I slept past 6:00. In fact, I slept like a baby last night. I went to bed around 10:15 and don't remember waking up at all until 7:00 this morning. Maybe it was because I ran in the evening? Maybe it's because I ate a TON of nutritious vegetables yesterday? Maybe it has nothing to do with either of those things.

Yesterday went so well. The diet diary I posted last time was all I ate except for just before I ran last night (around 8pm) I had a 45 calorie rice cake. I did awesome! It's good to be back!

Today I am set for some circuit training. I've got about 3 routines that I can't decide between so I figured I could just use all three and alternate them. Today, the one I'm using is a descending routine. The first round is 10 reps of each exercise, the next round is 9 reps, and then 8, and so on all the way down to 1. I love circuit training so much because [if you do it right] you get so sweaty and out of breath because you are working hard. And it torches calories with high impact moves like jump squats and burpees with no rest between exercises and little to no rest between each round. So it gets the job done.

When I was trying to find some good routines that I liked, I came across a lot of information on crashing the central nervous system and overtraining. I have always been cautious of overtraining. But paying attention to my CNS is not something I have ever thought about. Also, I have always known that you should take 1 or 2 days in between working the same muscle groups (and as much as 4 days when you train really hard and heavy), but I didn't realize that sometimes, the CNS might need as long to recover. That is why I am spacing my circuits out and doing some steady state cardio in between, since that has no taxing effect of the CNS. I really just want to be as efficient as I can be.

I am a believer in the fact that all the little things you do add up in the end. I have completely different habits now than I did even 6 years ago. And maybe 6 years from now, I'll be better than I am today. It's hard to change. It takes a lot of effort. It takes a lot of time. But if you start now, on the path to becoming a better you, it will happen sooner than if you put it off another minute. It's hard to be patient when we live in a world where we expect instant gratification, but when it comes to the body and the mind, we need to exercise patience with ourselves. It's not easy. But it is easier to make small changes often - they will add up to BIG results. New habits start to form, new attitudes take root, and you become who you've always known you could be. Never give up because persistence will get you there.

I am one of the most impatient people on the planet! I get that from my dad (RIP). Sometimes I need to remind myself of all that I have accomplished so far instead of dwelling on how far I still have to go. And I need to be reminded that it's been little changes that have gotten me here and will eventually get me where I want to be. It's important for me to change as a whole, the inside matters just as much as the outside, maybe more. When I am the wife, mother, daughter, friend, sister that I hope to be, the rest will just follow suit =)

When I pick apart my flaws, I am lucky to have people around me who love me enough to keep me grounded. My mom is a good one for that. She will praise me for the things I do for my kids when I am feeling like a bad mother. Or she will tell me how good I look when I am feeling like a hefer. We all need people to help lift us up from time to time. Thanks, mom....even though I know you don't read this blog. Even though most of the time, you tell me I need "more meat on my bones", sometimes, you give me just the motivation I need.

Ok, now I'm off to do my circuit and then laundry. Sounds like a fun day ahead of me, right?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hey charlotte, back to the routine !!! btw champers is short for champagne !!! i lol when you guys from America dont know what i'm talking about !!!! welcome back xx